• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your top 5 favorite anime's [include reasons!]

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalDisaster2000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote="the_soultaker"]Aye gavault!!

2.Bio Booster Armor Guyver (Responsible for my re-interest in Anime.)
quote]Where did you find a Guyver anime? I've seen both live action movies on scifi, but I've never even heard of a Guyver anime until now!! Crying or Very sad Exclamation
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote
If this goes on, this thread will be locked by the moderators. Would some of you please make an effort to present arguments in favour of the anime that you list? There's nothing more pointlessly subjective than a straight list of titles, with no reasons given.

Come on, it can't be that hard. If you like an anime, you should at least be able to say why in two or three-sentences.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KirklandVR6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm Reply with quote
1. Berserk - I would have to say my favorite anime of all time would have to be Berserk It was the first anime series I ever saw and also was the first series that I bought. I absolutely love the story of this series and have continued to follow it through the manga.
The next few don’t come in any particular order.

2. Cowboy Bebob - How can this anime not be on anyone list? It is just a perfect blend of character development, storyline, splendid voice acting, and amazing music.
3. Samurai X trust and betrayal - the animation in this ova series is incomparable in my opinion. Not to say that all the other elements in this ova series are lacking, but the one that sticks out is the animation.
4. Twelve Kingdoms - I didn't see this on anyone's list (but I didn’t look at all the pages), but I has a very complicated storyline and to be able to really enjoy this series, you have to pay very close attention to it. The storyline in this anime would be the part that sticks out in my mind.
5. Naruto - Last but surely not least would be Naruto. I started watching this anime from episode 40. I can’t think of an element that sticks out in this series either, but I just cant stop watching it, so it is on my list.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:19 pm Reply with quote
1. Cowboy Bebop (just the perfect mix of everything)
2. FLCL (GAINAX + Production IG = perfection)
3. Ghost in the Shell: Innocence (one word: masterpiece)
4. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex(great mix of main and sub stories, and oh yeah, TACHIKOMAS!!!!!)
5. Escaflowne (awsome music + awsome mechas + catgirls, cant go wrong there Very Happy )
OTP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:33 pm Reply with quote
My favorite animes (in no particular order):

1) Case Closed (Most people who don't understand anime think it's all a bunch of fighting and wierd, paronormal stuff, and Case Closed proves all of those people wrong)

2) Cowboy Bebop (As a Sci-Fi/Comedy fan, it just seems natural. Besides, it's a really good show for anime and non-anime fans alike, once you get into it.

3) Evangelion (I haven't seen the show in years other than The End of Evangelion, which I rented last week, but from what I remember [and the manga] it was a very... philosophical show. It made you think about stuff.)

4) Initial D (I'm not even a big street racing fan, but I like the plot and the characters--except maybe Itsuki ["Iggy"])

5) Gundam (no particular one) -- Come on, it's the Japanese Star Trek!
FreedomRed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:44 pm Reply with quote
1) Tranformers Superlink : because it's a great re-creation of an old favorite. The characters are very engaging too.

2) Gao Gai Gar : I love Giant Robo series and the characters are lovable.

3) Love Hina: Too Funny

4) Vandread : Effects are awsome. Also funny.

5) Gate Keepers : Story was great. A very original concept.
Vance1982

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:17 pm Reply with quote
In no particular order

1) Sailor Moon (original japanese version. . . I really hate the dubbed version.Twisted Evil)

2) Chobits (it has such a sweet story)

3) D.N. Angel Peach Target (very very addictive)

4) Hikaru No Go (great characters)

5) Ronin Warriors (again the original japanese. . . one of my first anime)

Last edited by Vance1982 on Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh please. All I ask for are a few sentences explaining why you like your favorite show.

"very very addictive" and "too funny" are not adequate explanations for why you like something.

This thread is going to be locked within the next few days unless people can start giving real reasons for why they like something. If it's truly your favorite show, it shouldn't be that hard to do.

Example:
One of my favorite series of all time is Saikano. It manages to take an unlikely situation (such as your girlfriend being turned into the ultimate weapon) and use it as a contrast to show the reality and depth of human emotions. The two main characters are simply two high school students trying vainly to stay alive and in love in a time of war, while everything else is trying to tear them apart. With the heart-wrenching emotions that are thrown at viewers every episode, it asks questions like "what does it mean to be human?" and "what is love?" without jumping through any of the hoops that stereotypical love stories do. It has great characters with a lot of depth and a heavy streak of human emotion.

as opposed to:

My favorite series is Saikano - zomg so depressing.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:56 pm Reply with quote
GTO- At first, I thought the show was just funny, the quirky kind of funny. Then I read the manga and fell in love with it. While reading through it, I noticed some things that really stood out, Onizuka's intelligence. Sure on the top he is just crude and silly, but underneath it all, he really does know more about things that most. How to live your life. Sure not by his example, but mainly if you are going to do something...than do it!

Naruto- Sure this is the next DBZ. But I can't help but like it. It is fun to watch, and its cliffhangers pull you in to watch the next episode. But...it does feel to drawn out. It is great to recreate every chapter in the manga, and then some, but over 100 episodes? The animators sure got to keep it more interesting to keep my interest. But still, it is humorous.

Full Metal Alchemist- Indian philosophy. The search for the forbidden philosopher's stone was in the book of Khabir. Okay FMA probably didn't take it from the book of Khabir, but hey it is a coincidence that they both have philosopher's stones that are both dangerous to pursue and said that it would grant anyone wealth, fame, and glory.

The Twelve Kingdoms- It is such a pretty series. I love how they made it very "Chinese" in a way. I could be mistaken by that remark, just to let you know. I was always a fan of fantasy genres, so this was up my alley. I like how they are showing us Youko's troubles as a becoming queen. It sure is not easy to be royalty.

Escaflowne- Even though I watched it through twice, I still love it. The music is just great, but then again every composition by yoko kanno is great. I think it is really the music that makes me love it more than usual. The story is great, but I think it is really the music that does it for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tasha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:16 pm Reply with quote
My top five changes every day.... yesterday I would have had X TV or Hunter X Hunter on this list. Too many to choose...As of today, my top five anime are (TV series only)

5. Rose of Versailles

"Rose of Versailles is shoujo in its finest form. ….Repeat. Rose of Versailles is shoujo in its finest form. Are you looking for complicated love triangles and decagons? Do you want annoyingly weak-minded and sniveling female characters such as Aya and Miaka? Or perhaps you want twenty bishounen such as those found in Prétear or X TV? Or maybe you want cutesy magical girl such as Magic Knight Rayearth, Sailor Moon, or (as great as it is) Full Moon wo Sagashite? Maybe a little bubblegum like D.N. Angel or Card Captor Sakura? Or maybe, just maybe, you prefer the rarities, the intelligent and unconventional such as Revolutionary Girl Utena and Twelve Kingdoms? It’s quite rare when you see shoujo such as those two. It’s no coincidence that they manage to blow the aforementioned shoujo out of the water. Why? Because they borrowed elements from their predecessor, Rose of Versailles. Why? Because Rose of Versailles is shoujo in its finest form."
-Me

4. Twelve Kingdoms

The single best part of the show is its characters….and this is quite amazing considering that the series has quite a few of them. In the beginning, Youko is almost irredeemably unlikable and pathetic, but she undergoes a remarkable change, both physical and mental, in the first few episodes. Under normal circumstances, I would complain about such a quick change, but here it’s completely justified by desperation and a strong will to survive. Quick? Yes. Improbable? Hell no. And she continues to change throughout the series. Though she has the best of intentions and wants to do well by her kingdom, she knows very little of the land she is to rule. Ignorance does not equate to innocence. To please those around her, she makes decisions that she is unsure of. Youko’s characteristics are further exemplified in two characters of the third arc: Shuzu and Shoukei. These two women serve as Youko’s foils- what she used to be and what she could have been." -Me

3. Vision of Escaflowne
"Considered to be one of the most popular anime of all time, Escaflowne has a lot to live up to. As a “fan-favorite,” it is to be expected that it would be as great as its praises suggest. Not only does the series meet its expectations, but in my not-so-humble opinion, it’s one of the best of its genre. Using the much-used premise of a high-school girl swept to a fascinatingly strange world, Escaflowne is certainly not original. In fact, it’s oft compared with the lesser Fushigi Yûgi that appeared a year before it. Unlike others, though, it delves deep into its story, encountering uncertainties about our own destinies and futures. Does fate or destiny exist? Does man control what happens in his own life, or is there an outside force calling all the shots? ....Perhaps the most amazing thing about Escaflowne’s story, however, is its audience: because the series is a rare combination of both shôjo and shônen, both girls and boys will find something that appeal to them. Males will be attracted by the mecha action and the occasional splatter of blood, and girls would enjoy the love triangles. Being the popularity of the show, it’s also amazing that it has a distinct lack of fan-service (no panty flashes or women with hilariously disproportioned breasts), no slap-stick humor, or even a large amount of bishônen. But yet it manages to have such wide appeal. Despite character problems and a slightly lackluster ending, Escaflowne still manages to be heads and tails above others. Its excellent story and clever narration is what makes the series one of the best of all time and one of my personal favorites." -Me

2. Berserk.
Powerful, violent, and daring, Berserk remains superior to all anime of its kind. It also has the best characters around.

1. Fruits Basket
It's rare that a series can pull this off, but Fruits Basket has a flawless transition from comedy to tragedy. One minute you’ll be cracking up, and the next you’ll need a tissue. Episode six was definitely the funniest episode….It’s a good thing my roommates were away at the time I was watching, because they would have thought I lost it. I was bustin’ up. As for sadness, I didn’t cry when Momijii was telling his story to Tohru and in the last two episodes…but…..I was moved. Not many anime can pull this off....great combination of tragedy and comedy. It also has a great cast of characters....that turns into animals. Whodu thunk (THUNK haha) it?

Wait...we have to come up with reasons? Ah blah....thank god for cut and paste.
Flou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote
currently with what i'm watching:

1. My-Hime
Reason: This series although starts out seemingly generic turns out to be one of the most amazing shows in years. This show has really amazing VA too (especially in episode 8). Although I have only see 16 episodes, its one of my alltime favorites. (Also Yuki Kajiura is AWESOME, but the xylophone track gets a little tiring after a while)

2. Samurai Champloo
Reason: Just plain awesome Very Happy

3. Cowboy Bebop
Reason: See Samurai Champloo Very Happy

4. Kaleido Star
Reason: I like Sora ;D
Really fun series!

5. AIR
Reason: Beautiful art, well-developed characters, need I say more? ;D
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:36 am Reply with quote
Flou, that's nice and all Anime smallmouth, but didn't you already make a list? I really don't see why you had to revive this really old thread when the sticky one even replaces this one easily.

So if you could, please just try to stick with the sticky top 10 Wink.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13