• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh, I see. Of course. The Aussies wouldn't want to eat our sheep now, would they?

You know, sometimes I forget to do my patriotic duty and make fun of the Australians. Why, that previous post of mine almost sounded cordial. Outrageous.

So yes, the "mutant Aussie survivors inevitably leave the smoking remains of Sydney, Newcastle and Brisbane and sail over here looking to shag our precious sheep..."

Trust that passes proper NZ-AU communications guidelines.

I was wondering which side would bring that out first, it just did not seem right for me to use it before, and then the ball was thrown to easily into your court. There has to be a mature insult I can throw back, I know, say "fish and chips" and the number "six", making fun of New Zealander's accents is the duty of australians, right up with making tourists believe in drop bears (if you are going to be tourist please forget that). Although it doesn't translate very easilly in the writen form, just trust me that the accent thing is funny.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
That makes sense actually. Are the US kind of insular when it comes to livestock? I know we've had our fair share of 'incidents' in the past over here but I would imagine some of the practices over there aren't entirely safe. I'll hold my hands up and admit, I've only seen the cases where things have gone horribly wrong and a big deal has been made of it as a result. I don't have enough knowledge of said practices to be objective in this instance.

There is something like an 'insular' trend in American culture. Some substantial share of the population is invested in an idea of 'American Exceptionalism', but the rest the rest find those people rather exasperating and that makes them think that they hate America. All the while the rest of the world is staring at us, which makes one side get really belligerent toward them and the other anxious about what they'll think, which just makes everybody more worked up. That's why Americans are so fat; it's stress eating.

But really I would expect that the real explanation is that there is a large, organized and thus influential constituency of beef producers who exploited the mad cow disease scare to get the federal government to cut potential foreign competitors out of the market. Some people probably did think that it was about protecting public health, but that's policy and politics is not about policy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote
@Dusky Predator

Peanut butter and cheese, hum I'll have to try that. If your peanut butter is too dry, try it on hot toast. It gets all melty. Also good is peanut butter and raisons, or cheese and sliced sweet pickles.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Dusky Predator

Peanut butter and cheese, hum I'll have to try that. If your peanut butter is too dry, try it on hot toast. It gets all melty. Also good is peanut butter and raisons, or cheese and sliced sweet pickles.
Try peanut butter on a toasted piece of raisin bread, that is heaven.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
To continue on the food tangent, I generally don't like a lot of toast because I find it itself pretty dry, unless I have it with jam or cheese, but raisin (sultanas here) bread toasted which I usually don't like might actually work.

I think sushi was mentioned before, anime actually encouraged me to have some sushi as a new years resolution, had it a few times and has been nice.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Seems I opened quite the line of discussion...sorry for this, but there were quite a few posts I wanted to respond to.

dirkusbirkus wrote:
I know the stuff that goes into one isn't exactly wholesome but of all the countries to ban food for being unsavoury, the US? Wow.

Indeed, Dirkus was right on. It's sad, but I know this only because my grandfather got into a bit of an altercation smuggling some in for Haggis Day. But I agree. Pink slime is fine, but we draw the line at sheep lung?

DuskyPredator wrote:
Let me see eccentric, well I like peanut butter and cheese sandwiches, people always get icked out, but I like them, it stops the peanut butter from being too dry, and is better than you might expect.

My most recent ex- went nuts for banana and mayo sandwiches, so pb&c actually sounds somewhat appealing in contrast. Have you ever thought of peanut butter and cucumbers?

Thatguy3331, I used to eat the hell out of some Nutella (I assume you mean the coco & hazelnut spread?).

dtm42 wrote:
So yes, the "mutant Aussie survivors inevitably leave the smoking remains of Sydney, Newcastle and Brisbane and sail over here looking to shag our precious sheep..."

I always thought that was Wales ("where men are men and sheep run in fear").

SurrenderArtist, there's myriad reasons why over 75% of the US population is overweight or obese, many of which covary with our propensity for convenience...but I'll save the social commentary for now.

I feel obligated to share some of my cuisine now. Salmon is the main staple of my diet (every night, believe it or not) and I embrace my primate ancestry with copious amounts of fruit of virtually every variety I can get my hands on (I need to find a store that sells more banana cultivar than the typical cavendish, though). I'll treat myself to sashimi once in a while in which case I prefer tuna (can't stand the stuff grilled) and octopus. Spicy eel rolls and shrimp tempura are nice too.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
I always thought that was Wales

Hearsay emanating from sources closer to the region in question seemingly corroborates your suspicions. I have never consulted my personal acquaintances therefrom for their insights into such practices, though by their own accord they remain silent on the matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
nikolai180393 wrote:
A Mystery wrote:
Crying or Very sad We don't count...

Why don't you count?

Well, you didn't want to class the people around the UK as countries, but we're clearly not the same either (in culture, language, etcetera). I assumed you thought of us as not important at all Wink

@Svidrigailov What made you stop eating Nutella? I cannot imagine something else on my bread (only on weekends I eat other things).
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
@Svidrigailov What made you stop eating Nutella? I cannot imagine something else on my bread (only on weekends I eat other things).

Good question. I had a gall bladder infection, and in order to avoid what was perhaps the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced from recurring, I've entertained a strict low-fat diet. I had to give up some of my previous favorites including nuts and cheese (I used to love a baguette with Brie). What really did me in, I think, is that my prenominate ex- was of French descent who was raised Neopolitan. They fed me...so much.
bigheart711

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
This is more of an "I'm Back" situation than an "I'm New one, but let me introduce myself. I'm Bigheart711. Some of you may know me as "Master Menos" or by my former Twitter name, Dr_Otaku. This site has helped me a lot in the past and I hope I obtain more in the future.

Name: Bigheart711
Alias(es): Master Menos
Marital Status: Single, Looking for a Girlfriend in real-life soon
Religion: Agnostic
Drink/Smoke: I drink on occasion, but I never smoke. Cigarette smoke bothers me sometimes.
Favorite Music: I still listen to J-Pop, but not as much as K-Pop nowadays (blame 2NE1 for that. ;P). I also listen to Rap, House and even some Dubstep.
Favorite Sports: Baseball, Hockey (Fighting) and Football
Favorite Sites: AnimeNewsNetwork, Anime Vice, Screened, Giant Bomb and Kotaku.
Favorite Anime: Too many to count, but Revolutionary Girl Utena, Pretty Cure, Baccano!, Red Garden and SKET Dance to name a few.
Favorite Manga: No Particular Order: GALS!, Death Note, Blood+, Sailor Moon and Chobits.
Likes: Hanging with friends, video games, wiki editing and puppies.
Dislikes: Baby songs from my own parents, cheating on people (and being cheated on), ignorance, racism, sexism and massive spoiler texts.

Fun Facts: My username is a "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" reference (The original book).
- I have no pictures to display of myself, unless you're on my Facebook (Which I won't link to).
- My wiki adventure started on this very site.
- Spoiler texts creep me out because they remind me of censor bars.
- I watch more (good) TV than most of my family
- One of my favorite non-anime shows happens to be Archer.
- I joined this site back in my high school days.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
This introduction thing is more fun in installments; tonight's will be literature.

Kafka is probably my favorite author, though Dostoevski is close (the former just speaks more to me as an individual while the latter has such a refined but lean syntax and plot style) I also enjoy Wallace (thoroughly), Kipling, Salinger, Voltaire, Murdoch, Niven, Proust (though sometimes I loathe him), Pratchett, Hugo, Crichton, H.S. Thompson, Nietzsche (Also Sprach Zarathustra is both philosophy and literature), Wodehouse (perhaps the most hilarious author I've yet read), Keyes, Chernyshevsky, and Akutagawa, to name a few. I also read a fair deal of philosophy...but that could take a while to list. I guess I could say my favorites are Foucalt, Baudrillard, Deleuze and Guattari (something about those French guys, though I detest and publicly humiliate Descartes' Metaphysics at any and every opportunity). Any other readers out there?
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
This introduction thing is more fun in installments; tonight's will be literature.

Kafka is probably my favorite author, though Dostoevski is close (the former just speaks more to me as an individual while the latter has such a refined but lean syntax and plot style)
You enjoy Kafka? Have you seen the anime short of Franz Kafka's A Country Doctor? I have not read that short story, but I've seen the anime short. Many of those who have both seen the short and read the story have said that the animated version was as surreal and thought-provoking as the book.

I am also a big reader, but it seems we read very different things. I enjoy some philosophy and classics now and then, but I am a big mystery and thriller fan. I read a lot of Agatha Christie and Christopher Pike.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
You enjoy Kafka? Have you seen the anime short of Franz Kafka's A Country Doctor? I have not read that short story, but I've seen the anime short. Many of those who have both seen the short and read the story have said that the animated version was as surreal and thought-provoking as the book.

I have indeed and it follows the short story word for word. I should note that I've read everything by Kafka save the Trial and the short story Aeroplanes at Brescia. Reading Deleuze and Guattari only served to pique my interest in him further.

Tris8 wrote:
I am also a big reader, but it seems we read very different things. I enjoy some philosophy and classics now and then, but I am a big mystery and thriller fan. I read a lot of Agatha Christie and Christopher Pike.

Yeah, I'm more into the classics and (though quite the leap) DFW got me intensely interested in what he terms image fiction when I read his essay E Unibus Pluram (a comprehensive diagnosis of the modern appeal of TV culture, the extrapolations/metastasized symptoms and its effect on the appeal of literary fiction). However, I don't think I've ever read an honest-to-goodness mystery novel. I should pick one up.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
Tris8 wrote:

Yeah, I'm more into the classics and (though quite the leap) DFW got me intensely interested in what he terms image fiction when I read his essay E Unibus Pluram (a comprehensive diagnosis of the modern appeal of TV culture, the extrapolations/metastasized symptoms and its effect on the appeal of literary fiction). However, I don't think I've ever read an honest-to-goodness mystery novel. I should pick one up.
That's hard for me to imagine! Ever since middle school I've been obsessed with reading just about anything. If I only get through 1 book in a week that's a bad week Anime hyper I highly recommend And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. The first ~9 pages move pretty fast and can be a little confusing, but just keep reading. Everything starts to come together almost immediately. And as expected of one of Christie's greatest works, the ending is fabulous. Why this one is my favorites is how all the characters are introduced immediately (hence the confusing beginning; you get 10 character profiles thrown at you all at once), which gives them time to truly develop. And when the panic slowly grows, you really get to see what each are made of.

E Unibus Pluram sounds pretty interesting. I think I might try to expand my horizons and read some of Kafka's short stories. Do you recommend one in particular to start with?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 143 of 233