• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No English dub for Millennium Actress

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I just thought of this, but another stumbling block for Millenium Actress could be its DVD release in the next month. The Academy doesn't really like it when short theatrical releases seem to only exist for critical praise/publicity for either an imminent TV airing or home video release. Last year's critical darling Bloody Sunday was disqualified for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:59 pm Reply with quote
animaniac: As adequate as Neil Gaiman's script was, Claire Danes just ruined the effin' movie. At least she's out of a job after the Mod Squad remake. I f*ckin' hated her in My So Called Life and the Dicrapio Romeo and Juliet too. And f*ck whoever cast Minnie Driver too! Period pieces need to have quality actors, not people who appeal to teeny-boppers! So I'm glad Dreamworks resisted the temptation to cast Jennifer Love Hewitt in the lead.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
animaniac: As adequate as Neil Gaiman's script was, Claire Danes just ruined the effin' movie. At least she's out of a job after the Mod Squad remake. I f*ckin' hated her in My So Called Life and the Dicrapio Romeo and Juliet too. And f*ck whoever cast Minnie Driver too! Period pieces need to have quality actors, not people who appeal to teeny-boppers! So I'm glad Dreamworks resisted the temptation to cast Jennifer Love Hewitt in the lead.

AMEN!!!

not to mention that disney wasn't even gonna put the original Japanese track on the DVD. but that was before my time(in anime).
Mega Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:37 am Reply with quote
I know it's an old thread but I noticed that the article said the retail was gonna be 19.99 and yet the dvd came out at 29.99. What happened?
Kidotai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Mega Ranger wrote:
I know it's an old thread but I noticed that the article said the retail was gonna be 19.99 and yet the dvd came out at 29.99. What happened?

Tax for the fight on terrorism.
nyana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Millenium actress was just trying too hard to be an award winning movie, when in reality is just a boring and dull film.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Um no. It was trying to encapsulate Japanese cinematic history. I'm sorry no one was almost raped in it like Perfect Blue, but that doesn't make it "boring".
nyana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was trying to encapsulate Japanese cinematic history

Just because millennium actress tries to encapsulate Japanese cinematic history, and is an Oscar kind of movie because it has period settings, and deals with the crowd-please theme of lost love does not take away from its dullness. The movie does entertain with the various themes you mention, but the story focuses more on the story of a spoiler[stupid, senile old bag who wastes her whole freaking life aimlessly pursuing her long lost love whom she met only once in her life. ] You mention in another post that one of the reasons you didn’t like Spirited away was because you really didn't know enough about Chihiro to care about her. So, how do you care about Chiyoko’s pursuit of her lost love when there were no genuine or reasonable motives for her to spend her whole life pursuing someone she met only once? The movie is too concern in being an Oscar kind of movie and fails to engage the viewers with its poor character development among other things.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:41 pm Reply with quote
nyana: I don't really consider her stupid but fulfilled. I mean, sure, she could be the heir to a profitable business, but she'd never be able to buy the experiences she missed out on.

Quote:
So, how do you care about Chiyoko’s pursuit of her lost love when there were no genuine or reasonable motives for her to spend her whole life pursuing someone she met only once?

If you've ever been young and in love, then you know how she feels.

Quote:
The movie is too concern in being an Oscar kind of movie and fails to engage the viewers with its poor character development among other things.

Chiyoko's life is meant to be a back-drop to describe Japan throughout the 20th century.
nyana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you've ever been young and in love, then you know how she feels.

young and in love!!!!.............riiiiiight. Now I see where you are coming from Mr. Sentimental.

Quote:
Chiyoko's life is meant to be a back-drop to describe Japan throughout the 20th century.

its meant to but it doesn't quite turn out that way!!

Anyways, I not here to convince you otherwise, I was just stating my opinion. So peace out!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2