• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:55 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
I'm not trying to be malicious with this but--
coldmug wrote:
Ethnicity: American with a little Irish
only a white person would list "American" as their ethnicity.

Not really. I am an Asian American. But I could easily just say I am American, too. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
ok i dont think i have ever done this:

Name John N
Sex Male
Age 24
Location Austin, TX
Marital Status Single
Ethnicity Hispanic/Irish
Pets a Jack Russel and a Welsh Corgi
Likes Anime, Vinyl, playing video games and comp games, and music
Drink/Smoke i do both
Fav. Anime Ranma 1/2, Neo Genesis Eva, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Death Note, Space Symphony Maetel
Dislikes my Job (does that count??)
Fav. Music Deathrock (doesnt have anything to do with metal), indie-rock, local bands from where i live and other places around the world.
Job Fedex Software Tech Support
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
I'm not trying to be malicious with this but--
coldmug wrote:
Ethnicity: American with a little Irish
only a white person would list "American" as their ethnicity.

But American is not an ethnicity unless you are Native American, and then usually those people don't consider themselves white. Sorry you brought it up and I am kinda confused by what you said. No biggie really.

Oh btw I never said my ethnicity in my profile...
Ethnicity: 2white
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I really should learn to keep my mouth shut.
Past wrote:
But American is not an ethnicity unless you are Native American, and then usually those people don't consider themselves white. Sorry you brought it up and I am kinda confused by what you said. No biggie really.
The point was that only a white person, who doesn't have to deal with the problems of being non-white, would be so oblivious as to make the mistake. However--
SuperOnizuka wrote:
Not really. I am an Asian American. But I could easily just say I am American, too. Wink
I was obviously wrong about that. Ethnicity has to do with where one's ancestors came from. No whites or Asians originally came from the Americas; therefore, "American" cannot be an ethnicity for whites or Asian-Americans.

It's actually far more complicated then that, but I don't want to derail this friendly thread, so I won't be posting on the subject any further.
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Went to Basic Training with a black man. During the first week for an Equal opportunities briefing, a Captain I believe, went around and asked several people what they did and didn't like to be called. One guy, the black guy, raised his hand and went "I don't like to be called an African American...I'm not from Africa, I'm from America."

Different strokes for different folks. I would never use AMerican to describe my ethnicity and I'm white as a ghost. Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Welcome cool3865. Hopefully you'll have a very pleasant time here and enjoy yourself while learning more about anime. I've never heard of someone being Hispanic and Irish by ethnicity. I'm sure there's plenty who are, I've simply never heard of it before so I'd personally, being Irish, be interested in knowing more if you don't mind. You can PM me if you'd prefer, if you wanna elaborate at all. Before I forget I must give you your mystery welcome bag of goodies. ::hands him a brown bag:: Your welcome bag contains the hard plastic eye from a stuffed bear, one blade from a standing fan, a handful of straw, and a small capsule filled with water and plankton. Those sure are Good Eats (shameless plug for Alton Brown's show on Food Network). While enjoying yourself here, and your fine gifts, don't forget; Carefully tune your instrument before playing. That way you can play out of tune all night with a clear conscience.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh Psycho, I've got something to donate for your next Mystery Bag. It's a grit, just one grit. Grits are pretty expensive where I live and I'm pretty cheap so you can only have a single grit. Careful not to lose it, it's pretty small.

Anyway, I finally consolidated all my info into one big bio on page 1 (near the bottom) and deleted redundant info in later posts. Enjoy.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Well since you've been such a nice person I'll use your grit in my next bag. Wink
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
Awww..... A little hominey harmony here on the forums. How nice! Cool
ShiroAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:49 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
The point was that only a white person, who doesn't have to deal with the problems of being non-white, would be so oblivious as to make the mistake.

Yet I do deal with the problems of being white. Just because one is white does not mean they have not had to deal with the problems of the color of their skin. On many occasions I've been thought of as a racist simpley because I'm white, and I must be doing something to hold _insert mionrity here_ back/down. Because I am white I must be selective with the words I use sometimes or I may use a word that is considered to be racist, yet the context I use it in is the farthest it could be from being racist. Am I saying what I've had to deal with is as bad as what a minority has had to deal with? No, just saying I have problems too.

Quote:
Ethnicity has to do with where one's ancestors came from. No whites or Asians originally came from the Americas; therefore, "American" cannot be an ethnicity for whites or Asian-Americans.

Thing is countries, places of origin, have been formed and changed over hundreds of years. What's to say that within the next couple hundred years this or that country is no more or larger or part of this or that country? People get so mixed it can be kind of pointless sometimes to say your this and that, a little of this and don't forget a slice of that, did I mention on my mother's great grandfather's side he had a 2nd removed cousin that was this.

I don't mind hearing some one that immigrated to America call themselves ______-American. But it is pretty annoying to hear it from someone who was born in America and has never even been to the country/point of origin they claim to be.

I'm not trying to start anything or say your wrong or anything like that. Just looking at it from another perspective.
voddas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:35 am Reply with quote
Look what you started varmintx Rolling Eyes And also coldmug, that's a nationality my friend not Ethnicity. I know there's a point to be argued here, though it does seem to be very close to crossing the line into forbidden territories. Don't get me wrong, there are some good points here,but who wants to start arguing about race?

Lets see those smiles people Very Happy

[edit]: If this sound like I'm having a rant at anyone, I'm not. Just expressing my opinion Razz
starseven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:05 am Reply with quote
Racism I often think is over stressed with specific individuals. I personally don't have a problem treating someone black, white, or any other color for that matter the same. I think very often a great deal of it is assumed.

I've heard to many people use racism as an excuse to things that really wouldn't normally be acceptable. I mean if we're not racist everyone should judged and treated exactly the same in all matters. The idea is equality in the end. Equality requires that we give no special treatment based on such things as race. It should all be the same in that regard.

I've heard the topic debated to many times as to why this person should receive special treatment at the cost of another individual. I mean regardless people whether they're black or white or religious or even if they choose different lifestyle should be treated the same.

I will however make the point that in the case of lifestyle that there's no reason why should have to accept a someone's lifestyle. If I'm inclined to disagree well then that's my opinion and no should tell me I'm discriminating just because I don't believe somethings acceptable. I mean it's a free country so I can hold the morals I choose. I can choose to not accept someone else's moral system as well. It doesn't mean I'm discriminating. It just means we have difference of opinion and can't agree on that point.

I mean judgment by the law should always be the same based upon what you've done. It doesn't matter if you're special interest or not. I think more often these days people are given special treatment due to the fact that they're part of a special interest group. Otherwise they claim I'm not being treated fairly. That's not the way it works. And don't tell that I have to accept your moral system . If we don't agree we don't agree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Jaebird

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:00 am Reply with quote
Name: Jae/Jamie
Sex: Female
Blood Type: B+

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: 1/4 Irish, 1/4 German & a General mixture of various "AMERICAN" as someone was saying. Mostly Ojibwe.
Religion: Nonexistent, except when it comes to the lottery.

Pets: I have two cats (tabbys) and a cactus that hasn't died yet.
Drink/Smoke: Nada on smoking anything, and drinking only with my relatives pft.

Likes: Forums, livejournal, anime duh, tv shows, cats, reading, photography
Dislikes: junebugs, saurkraut, most cheeses, plain milk, pineapple, broken elastic.. on anything

Favorite anime: Sailor Moon (this answer will never get old for me) Samurai 7, Kino's Journey, Angelic Layer, Gokusen, Cardcaptor Sakura, Trigun, Ronin Warriors (YST), Pokemon
Favorite Manga: Oh! My Goddess, Ranma 1/2, Cardcaptor Sakura, Case Closed, One Piece, Hana-Kimi, Sailor Moon

Favorite Books: Eddings (most of his series/novels) Tamora Pierce (all of hers) The Rowan/Hive series by McCaffrey, Harry Potter, Ender series, I love anything Sci-fi/Fantasy or Fantasy in general

Favorite games: Bubble Bobble, Dr. Mario, Katamari Damacy, Super Smash Bros, Metroid Prime, Pokemon, Final Fantasy IX+, Ecco, Neverwinter Nights, Pikmin, and Chibi Robo (Who knew one could have so much fun pseudocleaning)

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Legend of Billie Jean, Buffy, Frasier, Cube, Final Destination, any movie where the world ends, might end, or is quite possibly thinking about ending or electing Bush again.

Favorite Drink: Pepsi, or if you mean drinky, Kahlua & Cream

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Let's pretend I put Pepsi here and wasn't too lazy to just go back and delete and copy etc..

Favorite Foods: Tacos and Pizza, oh and chocolate.. three of lifes neccessities
Favorite Sites: ANN Forum or, two others ones, lol. Livejournal and Wikpedia.
Favorite Sport (to watch): figure skating, or baseball sometimes
Favorite Sport (to play): Baseball or Swimming
Favorite Music: I listen to almost anything, except Blues and hard rock, I love soundtracks though

Job: TMA/Nurse
Hobbies: Photography, Collecting stickers and other various things, drawing

Fun facts about Person Currently Known as ME:
- I like to stare at my anime collection sometimes, as long as I don't shut the closet door and lock myself in, I think we're good.
- I work nights, and it took two years to get used to that, so no, it's not that I'm an obsessive late night person (though I used to be) I really am posting at 2am and etc..
- My job lets me sit at a desk most nights and make sure no one dies, but other than that, I can watch anime or play around in a forum, for approximately 6 hours a night.
- The only reason my socks ever match is because my mother came to visit one day and stole all of my colored socks because she got tired of me wearing two different colored socks. She doesn't get that I don't see the point in really matching them up, unless they need to match an outfit and considering my job (yay no uniform) they don't. So I just toss them all in a box and grab random ones when I go out, but now they are mostly white Sad since she replaced them with socks whose elastic keeps breaking.
- I've become a wee bit obsessed with a spider at my work, I take pictures of it. It only comes out at night though (which is probably a good thing)
- I put great hope in one day winning the lottery.

Hopefully these are all my answers, and not whoevers I copied to get the overall thing.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote
Another Minnesotan, nice, don't think I've ever seen so many on a forum before. Welcome aboard, looks like our Minnesotan invasion of ANN is on track.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Another Minnesotan, nice, don't think I've ever seen so many on a forum before. Welcome aboard, looks like our Minnesotan invasion of ANN is on track.

You know, thanks to the movie Fargo, I can't help but get an immediate impression of what people from Minnesota and North Dakota are like. Of course I realize that those depictions were probably exaggerated and do not reflect everyone who lives in those two states.

Because of that, your comment above made me smile a little.....just for a moment. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 233