• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What happened to the "Upcoming DVD and Blu-Ray" page?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/releases.php?format=video

I've always checked the upcoming section to find out what anime is being released when, and usually its a whole page of upcoming titles. But the past few weeks I've gone there is only a few enteries: https://i.imgur.com/GFaFIZi.png

There are only 9 listings, 3 of which are for Your Name. Did something change on the site? Or are there just fewer releases coming out? Just curious, because I used to use that list a couple times a week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
horseradish
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
The upcoming media lists are populated by releases added to the Encyclopedia. The release scraper has been broken for a few months, so regular users have been unable to add new, upcoming releases. Video besides DVD also had issues with correct formatting (BD+DVD combos and BDs were sometimes listed as DVDs instead), which required editor corrections. Manga was easier to add, so the general releases page is now mostly manga.

ANN does weekly reports for new releases, though not pre-orders.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3072786
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4975625#4975625
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3053645
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
I was working on Yen's catalogue when the scraper went down and they solicit way in advance so there's plenty of those in the system (Hachette's B2B site is really useful for providing all the information you need to populate a release). Not only am I nowhere near done with those (or Seven Seas, or Kodansha's, which I've also been working on) but disc releases are often more complicated to build, with multiple formats (BD/DVD/Dub/Sub/Hybrid etc) and not all the information needed always being available from one source (for one thing, I can't directly access the Funimation store from the UK). Building releases manually was also a lot easier when the scraper was working, because once you'd set up the basics like release type and title and added the UPC it would pull most of rest of the data from stores so you only needed to fill in any blanks and correct formatting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
horseradish wrote:
The upcoming media lists are populated by releases added to the Encyclopedia. The release scraper has been broken for a few months, so regular users have been unable to add new, upcoming releases.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
I was working on Yen's catalogue when the scraper went down and they solicit way in advance so there's plenty of those in the system (Hachette's B2B site is really useful for providing all the information you need to populate a release

Thanks for your replies. I hope you're able to get it fixed. How does a scraper break exactly?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I don’t have the sort of access to know what happed, but changes in the other end break them all the time (they rely on the basic layout of the site being scraped remaining the same) but since they all went down around the time of the DNS hijack my guess was we got blocked due to the sudden high traffic from an unrecognised domain, but they’re still down so I don’t know. One thing that does still work, sometimes, are the calls to the official Amazon API but that’s always more reliable than page scraping as it’s how you’re supposed to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1