• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone Know Which Companie/s Translate for Viz.com?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeamTamago

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:01 am Reply with quote
HI - Looking for info. Cannot seem to find it in search, etc. It does not seem to be an internal operation.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Typically, publishers don't use "companies" to translate for them, but rather individual people. If you look in the back of any manga, you'll see "translator" listed. I'm not sure if the translators are part of that company or can take freelance jobs with any publisher (I have seen a number of names pop up across different companies as translator though, so it must be possible).
I do know that sometimes, it's left up to the translator to name characters and places, but there may also be a mandate from the Japanese side on some names (especially for big series). They can mandate such things for anime, so it seems reasonable they may for manga as well.
TeamTamago

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Classicalzawa for that information.

Still looking for info. so if anyone can help us out feel free to post or PM me.
Thanks!
horseradish
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
If you are looking for a list of translators that have worked for Viz, then you will probably have to check their releases for the credits. The titles listed for Viz Media in the Encyclopedia may have some credits. Google Books and Amazon might have a few Viz ebook previews available, so perhaps those can be checked too.

Translators seem to mostly work individually and freelance as classicalzawa noted. Usually there are 1-3 translators credited for one given volume, but there could be many more throughout the series.
TeamTamago

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:46 am Reply with quote
HI, Horseradish. Thank you for replying.

I'm actually a translator looking to expand his scope of clients. While it is true, most translators are freelance, like me, many of us work for companies who work for places like Kodansha, Harper Collins, Random House, Crunchyroll etc to prepare their English translations. I work for 3 of them now and have worked for a lot of the big anime and manga companies through another company.

I've wanted to work for Viz Media for awhile and was trying to see if there was something I am missing. They post other jobs on their site but so far no translator jobs. Which made me think they farm that work out.

If you hear of anything please let me know. Otherwise, I am going to send a general query and see what happens.

Thanks again. I appreciate the links you provided.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:49 am Reply with quote
If you're a translator looking to work for a particular company and not just be freelance, I would try video game companies instead. I do know someone who works as a translator for a video game company (not sure he'd want me to disclose which), and he works just for them. When it comes to technical aspects on games, someone else handles those (that could include things like manipulating game data, making some new graphics, altering existing graphics, etc). He said with video games, it can be a challenge because a lot of data that didn't end up in the game exists, so trying to figure out what didn't appear in the game can be tough. Some of these characters that don't exist in the final version even had dialogue and everything, which, of course, wouldn't need to be translated since it would never show up in the final game. But then I remember a couple years ago, when Atlus released Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, there was a line that didn't get translated because no play tester ever encountered the conditions needed to trigger it. But of course, gamers have too much time on their hands and found it. At least these days, these things can get a quick internet patch and it was just the single line.
horseradish
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
In an 2015 interview, a Viz manga editor said "In terms of translation and lettering, VIZ has a pool of talented and dedicated freelancers who have been honing their craft for a decade or more...when we do try out new freelancers, it’s through word of mouth". Maybe this is useful information? I haven't seen job listings for translators on their website either, so I wish you best of luck with general query.
TeamTamago

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Thank you guys for the responses. I finally found some info for VIZ and also am looking into the idea of working with games. I've been sticking to manga because I like reading stories in that format. Definitely following up with VIZ. Thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1