• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xXOKYayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Going good so far
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have any comments about this season so far other than "Clara is the best".
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
I agree that dainty Ameri is adorable.
Ronove, on the other hand, is unbearable. I admit that I enjoyed it when he broke out into song. The incubus theory seems plausible.

Quote:
Clara, meanwhile, is way more trouble than she's worth in the Game Battler; the poor group has essentially been saddled with an untrained, enthusiastic puppy in a room full of treats.

It's cute how her Battler member, Fluffy-kun, acts like a parent.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure whether or not that's on purpose on her part or if that's just how she is without Iruma's and Asmodeus' calming influence.

I'm pretty sure she's like that all the time. As far as I can tell, while she often saves the day, it's usually by accident of Clara being Clara. I'm not even sure Iruma and Azz calm her, so much as just grab her by the collar and physically hold her back, or restrain her impulses with firm "No!"s. Maybe "redirect" is a better word than "restrain." Smile

I still remember when she was sampling battlers and climbed into the carnivorous plants, ate the magic books, and took a bath in a cauldron of boiling soup.
#lazyhardworker

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:28 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
but in the manga it is obvious that her issue is that she associates crossdressing with being a pervert.

That was probably just some sloppy translation miss done in the past (go to Iruma-kun subreddit FAQ, maybe you can find some points there)... I don't think the author would mean something like that, considering how the crossdressing appears during the series.
And the words that were choose to Ameri were "Frilly and fluffy" (hira-hira/fuwa-fuwa), so it's not a problem with the dress piece itself, it's the clothes nature.
I agree with the vision that Ameri is projecting herself, because she has something with appearing cute, instead of tough
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I had a problem with this episode, Ameri says at the end that she will go full force or whatever to conquer Iruma.

Girl, you are a 2m-tall-genius-woman with the body of a supermodel and admired by all, just freaking ask him for a date, you have 0% odds of failure.
CheerSong

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Girl, you are a 2m-tall-genius-woman with the body of a supermodel and admired by all, just freaking ask him for a date, you have 0% odds of failure.

Not to mention the boy crumbles at the word "please".
Then again, if she wasn't making things needlessly difficult for herself would it still be as entertaining to watch?
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I had a problem with this episode, Ameri says at the end that she will go full force or whatever to conquer Iruma.

Yeah, but she's also fifteen. And teenagers aren't known for making smart, logical decisions.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, "dainty" is an interesting choice for "otome".
SHD

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:35 am Reply with quote
#lazyhardworker wrote:
SHD wrote:
but in the manga it is obvious that her issue is that she associates crossdressing with being a pervert.

That was probably just some sloppy translation miss done in the past (go to Iruma-kun subreddit FAQ, maybe you can find some points there)... I don't think the author would mean something like that, considering how the crossdressing appears during the series.

I'm not reading it in translation, so nope. As I said the anime downplayed it to some degree, but in the manga it's plenty obvious that Ameri is uncomfortable with the idea of Iruma crossdressing. When she first sees him in his idol dress she immediately thinks "pervert", when Iruma says he was talking to his ring she reacts with "so you're not just a crossdresser but delusional as well!" and in her nightmare Iruma says his ambition is "dressing in girls' clothes and being cute singing on stage!" (note, not "girly clothes" but "girls' clothes") Later when she catches Iruma and Kuromu in the schoolyard she says "so you're not content with just wearing their clothes, you even force yourself on the girl students!" And Iruma himself also worries about Ameri thinking that he's a pervert.

Also, while the manga doesn't treat crossdressing as a terrible thing, it's not like it's above using it for jokes, otherwise the whole idea of Iruma in drag wouldn't be used for jokes. "Crossdresser = pervert, the more girly the clothes are the worse the perversion is" may be an unsavory and offensive joke, but it is pretty common, and it's not like Mairuma's brand of humor is a particularly high-brow one. Besides, it's not like an author who writes a character (or more) with a certain view necessarily supports those views.

#lazyhardworker wrote:
And the words that were choose to Ameri were "Frilly and fluffy" (hira-hira/fuwa-fuwa), so it's not a problem with the dress piece itself, it's the clothes nature.

Again, see above. The anime yes went and substituted all instances of "crossdressing" with "frilly/fluffy" I assume in an attempt to soften the language (they left out all "hentai" as well - I don't know their guidelines about what they can and can't say in their shows in that timeslot), but the manga is pretty blunt about the word "josou" (crossdressing, into female outfits in particular). The idea that her problem is with the clothes being frilly and fluffy makes no sense in context anyway, since at no point is it mentioned that she's OK with him wearing other types of female clothes.

Sometimes a thing we like has a problematic moment. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(edited for clunky language)

Last edited by SHD on Tue May 11, 2021 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
ab2143

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:50 am Reply with quote
Love the thumbnail. Detective Clara is the best!

I'm also excited to see Opera dance in next week's episode!!
Shiawase_Rina

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:31 am Reply with quote
This episode was super satisfying! Ameri's voice actress did a great job with how she went from otome mode to the usual Ameri!

Also, I'm pretty sure SHD is right. I always got a strong impression that it was meant to be a "crossdressing = pervert" joke. I didn't even think about it, it was obviously one to me. Disappointing for sure, but I'm happy they turned it down in the anime. I don't know why they would tone down such a common joke, but no matter what the reason is, I like this a bit better.

I do wonder if Nishi-sensei would still write the same joke today. It's a bit hard to imagine after the last manga arc. But oh well.

The next episode will be interesting since it's "filler" (not in the manga). I kinda hope they do something with it so it isn't really filler. Before the next manga arc, I think a bit of world-building would be good. Ameri's arc's ending worked as a setup for the next arc in the manga, but there could've been a better one. At least in my opinion.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I quite frankly saw the cross dressing issue she had was that she is in love with Iruma, finding out that your crush may be gay it's kind of a let down for obvious reasons.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote
At the end of the episode Iruma said that he wasn't aware of why Ameri changed, but did he find out along with everyone else last episode that it was due to that potion?
SHD

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
At the end of the episode Iruma said that he wasn't aware of why Ameri changed, but did he find out along with everyone else last episode that it was due to that potion?

He meant the root problem of why she stayed in romantic maiden mode even though the magic should have long ceased to be effective.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8