• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Night Head 2041 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:04 am Reply with quote
I think we can safely assume that the Kuroki brothers are just... not very smart. Anime smile + sweatdrop I mean Yuuya saw a vision of Naoto & Naoya being the ones who ordered their parents to be taken away when they were children... and neither him nor Takuya took a moment to give a thought about the fact that Naoto and Naoya are obviously nowhere near old enough to have been able to do that... Anime smile + sweatdrop Sure, I guess the white hair might be confusing, but come on guys. spoiler[(For the record, they're all in their 20s, the younger brothers likely 21 and the older 27. There's 6 years of age difference between both older/younger pairs.)]

I loved how, during the fight, Naoto was all "what the hell are you even talking about, man, I don't even know your parents" while Takuya just kept going on about MY PARENTS OMG spoiler[(it's even better in the novelization with Naoto's inner commentary along the lines of "what's wrong with this man, did he hit his head really bad or something?")] I also really loved how they kept tossing crunched-up cars at one another, sooo silly but so very Night Head. Very Happy And it actually looked pretty good!

Harleyquin wrote:
It's not explained clearly how the SWE laid their trap. Did they do it the traditional way via the traitor's tip-off? Or did Yuuya's vision give advanced warning of the plot? Perhaps a bit of both?

I was explained quite clearly I think? There was at least one mole - whatshisface the mustache guy - and he may have had accomplices since Naoya saw a Resistance member talking to the SWE boss guy that may or may not have been Mr Mustache.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:46 pm Reply with quote
SHD, you have been warned before in discussions, with regards to using appropriate spoiler tags regarding source material not covered by the actual anime shows, when mods have had to edit your posts . If you do not start using them we're going to start removing posts instead of simply editing them, especially given previous warnings for other conduct here.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
SHD, you have been warned before in discussions, with regards to using appropriate spoiler tags regarding source material not covered by the actual anime shows, when mods have had to edit your posts . If you do not start using them we're going to start removing posts instead of simply editing them, especially given previous warnings for other conduct here.

OK, could you please explain to me how the characters' ages are spoilers? Or a completely random tidbit from the novelization of this exact show, that is completely irrelevant to the plot? I'm not being sarcastic, I genuinely don't understand how any of these are spoilers, my definition of "spoiler" being "information important to the story/characterization whose reveal would ruin enjoyment of the show for uninformed viewers".

(With this and other happenings elsewhere in the forum I'm quickly losing the incentive to post anything, frankly.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't get it either. Especially the second added tag. I don't see how that's different from the content of this post, which is apparently permissible. As far as I can see, both are just saying how a scene (or an entire episode) we've seen in the anime played out slightly differently in source material, to no possible effect on future events.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:34 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Redbeard 101 wrote:

OK, could you please explain to me how the characters' ages are spoilers? Or a completely random tidbit from the novelization of this exact show, that is completely irrelevant to the plot? I'm not being sarcastic, I genuinely don't understand how any of these are spoilers, my definition of "spoiler" being "information important to the story/characterization whose reveal would ruin enjoyment of the show for uninformed viewers".

(With this and other happenings elsewhere in the forum I'm quickly losing the incentive to post anything, frankly.)

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't get it either. Especially the second added tag. I don't see how that's different from the content of this post, which is apparently permissible. As far as I can see, both are just saying how a scene (or an entire episode) we've seen in the anime played out slightly differently in source material, to no possible effect on future events.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2962859

It's a stickied thread at the top of the forum. Particularly point 2 in the short post. It matters not what SHD and Gina Szanboti think deserve spoiler tags in this forum, what matters is what the rules are and whether users can be bothered to read and follow them. Just having the tags without the label in front is also acceptable.

For the latter, if an example is found which breaks the rules then the moderators won't act on it if it isn't reported.

I don't care either way if either poster ups it and leaves in disgust at the rules. Follow the rules, buy out the website and its editors to change the rules or take the spoilers elsewhere.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:39 am Reply with quote
We're not questioning the rules or asking that they be changed. We're asking for clarification of the definitions on which those rules are based. The spoiler tag thread says only, "Spoiler tags exist to allow those people who haven't seen the show to avoid being spoiled on events in that show. They also exist to avoid spoiling future plot points for adaptations of existing material." Neither of the above cited instances meet those criteria as far as I can tell, unless it's being viewed as a spoiler for the novel? Which is why I'd appreciate some clarification.

Character ages don't spoil events, unless the secret is that a loli is later revealed to be a 300 year old immortal or something. And I honestly can't see how alternate dialog for a scene that may simply get the point of the scene across more directly (or in this case, more humorously) could possibly spoil any future plot points, across any of the media. So we're confused as to why this is being modded (and I'm a little puzzled by the hostile tone as well). I mean, if I wanted to say that in the anime a line was translated as, "We need to wake up!" while in the manga it was translated as "We all need to open our eyes!" would that require a spoiler tag because I'd be discussing non-anime material? I would think not, but if I'm wrong, then I'd adjust, as long as it's clear what I'm adjusting toward.

Also, the anime is the source material. The manga and newly-published novelization are the adaptations here.

Note the wording here: The official website for Night Head 2041, a new television anime based on the 1992 live-action Night Head drama series, revealed on Wednesday that the anime is getting a manga, novel, and a stage play adaptation.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:32 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
We're not questioning the rules or asking that they be changed. We're asking for clarification of the definitions on which those rules are based. The spoiler tag thread says only, "Spoiler tags exist to allow those people who haven't seen the show to avoid being spoiled on events in that show. They also exist to avoid spoiling future plot points for adaptations of existing material." Neither of the above cited instances meet those criteria as far as I can tell, unless it's being viewed as a spoiler for the novel? Which is why I'd appreciate some clarification.

Character ages don't spoil events, unless the secret is that a loli is later revealed to be a 300 year old immortal or something. And I honestly can't see how alternate dialog for a scene that may simply get the point of the scene across more directly (or in this case, more humorously) could possibly spoil any future plot points, across any of the media. So we're confused as to why this is being modded (and I'm a little puzzled by the hostile tone as well). I mean, if I wanted to say that in the anime a line was translated as, "We need to wake up!" while in the manga it was translated as "We all need to open our eyes!" would that require a spoiler tag because I'd be discussing non-anime material? I would think not, but if I'm wrong, then I'd adjust, as long as it's clear what I'm adjusting toward.

Also, the anime is the source material. The manga and newly-published novelization are the adaptations here.

Note the wording here: The official website for Night Head 2041, a new television anime based on the 1992 live-action Night Head drama series, revealed on Wednesday that the anime is getting a manga, novel, and a stage play adaptation.

That same spoiler guidelines thread gives point 2 as:
When discussing a spoiler from the (manga, visual novel, etc.) source material in a thread dedicated to the anime adaptation (or vice versa)

Assuming my Latin isn't wrong, vice versa would mean the relationship goes two ways. Manga and novel are derived from this animated series, but anything in it discussed in the thread for viewers of the series needs the tags. Unless of course it's assumed everyone who's watching the show is also buying the novel and manga adaptations and reading ahead of what's being aired.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIGHT_HEAD
According to the above, 2041 is a new story written by the same author who did the drama series with the Kuroki brothers introduced as counterparts to the original Kiriharas. Despite this claim of a new story, a certain someone who has read up on the rest of the universe has no qualms in highlighting how a lot of the original work has in common with this series.

The wikipedia link above has the publishing dates for the original novels.

https://nighthead2041.jp/books/
Official webpage for this series. The first volume of the two-part novelization series was released on 12th August. If the spoilers from the highlighted posts are from THIS book, then take it elsewhere or use the tags. Anything revealed in this novel adaptation will spoil what hasn't been aired yet.

Ditto for the 1st volume of the manga adaptation as it was released on 5th August. I don't need or want to know what's in it, since this thread is about this adaptation only and not the entire Night Head universe in general which I'm clueless about.

Character ages in this series ARE a spoiler, since one of the central mysteries is how a pair of ESP users who have been inside an institute for over 15 years end up in 2041 rather than 12 years before and don't end up looking in their 40s. If someone else has read up on the rest of the universe this work is based on and is blasting it loud and clear on a discussion thread which focuses only on the show on its own, I don't need or want to know about it. Put the spoiler tags on, or take the discussion elsewhere.

I'm not going further into this. Those who want to argue semantics just to ruin it for everyone else can go ahead; there are ways around such trolls. Better yet, get the moderators involved to arbitrate. I doubt they're interested in sifting through the complicated relationships of an animated adaptation of an old TV series they have no intention to watch and have numerous other higher priority disputes that require their attention.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:19 am Reply with quote
I understand that the "zero tolerance" on spoiler tags use chafes some users but I support it wholeheartedly. For a simple reason. We all have differing views on what information we don't want to know about. What I consider a spoiler may not be one in your eyes. So the safest way is just to follow a very simple principle: if it is information gleaned from a source OTHER than the anime, just put it in spoiler tags, NO MATTER HOW TRIVIAL. That way you can never go wrong. Using spoiler tags isn't some monumental physical task.

My reason for supporting this stance is that some posters (not SHD) have a poor understanding of information I don't want to know. Better we all use spoiler tags in a consistent way rather than debating whether something is a spoiler or not which is often a very subjective opinion.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:22 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
That same spoiler guidelines thread gives point 2 as:
When discussing a spoiler from the (manga, visual novel, etc.) source material in a thread dedicated to the anime adaptation (or vice versa)

Assuming my Latin isn't wrong, vice versa would mean the relationship goes two ways.

And my reading of that vice versa is that a spoiler from the (in this case, anime) source material in a thread dedicated to the manga, visual novel, etc. adaptation needs a tag. It depends on what the topic of the thread is, and which is the source. Otherwise, we couldn't talk about the anime here at all without entire posts being tagged, since it's source material, and I'm pretty sure that's not the goal. Which is why I'd appreciate some clarification. Is that too much to ask?

@Blood-: Well, if it were up to me, I'd pull any post that even acknowledged there was source material besides the anime. Very Happy The passive-aggressive, not technically spoiler posts drive me up a wall. So it's probably good I'm not a mod. Wink
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote

The episode with the big reveal. A lot of questions are answered, but more questions are posed which look like they will need time to resolve within this work lasting one quarter.

At last there's a main plot. The big phenomenon everyone talked about is something really far-fetched, but it's something the audience has to accept since that's how the show is going to continue for the rest of its airing. I don't blame Naoto for getting angry at being forced into a role he didn't ask for, but Naoya with his ability to read others is more open and accepting. It also answers why Mikuriya who had a terminal lung disease was able to speak normally when they initially reunited.

As for the flashback, it turns out Yuuya DID convey what he saw to his older brother accurately. If this is what it hints it is (time travel) then there's going to be a lot of headaches to resolve to avoid any plot holes from temporal paradoxes. Naoto was telling the truth last week; he just doesn't know what he's going to get himself into yet.

I'm not sure about the prophecy and talk of roles explained in this episode; however it's clear that not all of the remaining 1/3rd of humanity are a lost cause. Case in point: one redeemed soul whose ticket was punched in this week. It remains to be seen how the Kuroki brothers fit into this, since they have powers as well but are the archetypes of the type of human left behind.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:39 pm Reply with quote
8:

Uhhh huh.

So, there is a parallel Earth. Two-thirds of the global population were drifted to a parallel Earth where spiritual energy exists. The remaining one-third, umm... were neglected and outright rejects anything metaphysical (hence World War 3?). Mikuriya created an intermediary with the help of Shoko (and some unnamed guys) world that exists between the two Earths to bring the Kirihara brothers back from "spiritual Earth" to become destined saviors and rescue those from "material Earth". At least what's I've understood.

Why is "spiritual Earth" the utopian one? That part doesn't bode well with me because it seems grossly oversimplified. Believe too much in materialism and a war breaks out? Seems like it's commenting that atheism leads to ultimate doom or something (maybe I'm overthinking here).

Okay, now the big question is the story between the Kirihara and Kuroki brothers. I still have tons of questions about this universe, but let me see the story for this one first.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

That is as far as you can see. What YOU (in a general sense referring to any user) might consider not to be a spoiler could very well in fact be one for someone else. In this case Harleyquin already pointed out how the bits that had tags added to could in fact be spoilers. This is something that a plethora of people have complained about in threads, reports of posts, and in PM's to the mods/staff in recent years. Which is why any reference to source material with an on-going show should be in spoiler tags. This is not a new policy either. This has been something we've been saying for a while now, and have been quite clear on as well, because the constant info dumps of source material were ruining the viewing experience for many people. If the show is done airing then that's different. If it is airing though any source material not covered by the show at that point should be tagged. And vice versa.

As for the post you linked to, most of that post should have been spoiler tagged (and is now) as well. So no, it is not permissible. Why wasn't something done about it until now? Because no one reported it. SHD's post here was reported. Which is why a moderator (myself) intervened. The idea brought up that some posts are ok in thread A but not in thread B is not accurate at all. That's why we constantly tell users to report things because the mods do not have the time to check every new post in every thread. We also do not follow every discussion. Especially for shows that we either have no interest in, don't want spoiled for us personally, or have not been reported for bad posts that garner a closer watch of the discussion. Which is also why there has been no "clarification", or response given yet here. Did you send a PM to any mod asking for it? Did you post in the feedback section asking for it? Did you report a post in this discussion asking for it? So if it's not brought to our attention then how are we supposed to know? We often simply handle reports and then go about our business unless it's brought to our attention that we should keep a more watchful eye on a discussion. Some topics obviously should garner more attention from moderators, but generally speaking most streaming review discussions do not.

In regards to other "passive-aggressive, not technically spoiler posts" that you mentioned, yea those can be reported as well. In many cases they blatantly infer enough, without directly saying anything, to warrant spoiler tags. Again though, we're back to the issue of we mods can't review what we don't know about.

SHD wrote:
I genuinely don't understand how any of these are spoilers, my definition of "spoiler" being "information important to the story/characterization whose reveal would ruin enjoyment of the show for uninformed viewers".

As I said in response to Gina Szanboti what you consider, or don't consider, spoilers someone else might. Harleyquin provided ample reasoning for this specific situation already. Your definition of a "spoiler" is apt, but your reasoning as to what you consider to fall into that category is the problem. That has been the issue many times over as you have had numerous posts reported by many different users here, and in many different discussions. This has been told to you before as well (by myself). You've gone on persecution/martyr rants regarding it in the past as well (like you started to do here with the post that you correctly guessed would be deleted), in relation to previous warnings for other conduct of yours here in the forums (which had also been reported by several other users which is what brought it to our attention).

Now this is getting very off topic so let's reel it back in to the actual discussion. If anyone wants to continue the discussion on spoiler tags then by all means create a thread in the Feedback section.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:26 pm Reply with quote

Another episode with a big reveal. This time the main plot and more about the Kuroki siblings is fleshed out.

Cafe girl is back, and this time she has a name. She has a lesser version of the prophet's ability, but can still see enough of it if she's given a boost. Kuroki Yuuya has moved the plot forward significantly this episode thanks to his actions; but it remains to be seen if he's going to follow through with what he's been advised.

I had wondered why the SWE was so quick with their reaction to the hostage situation. Turns out I was only partly right; they used the information from the snitch as well as info from the prophet. The prophet is an interesting one; she's clearly qualified for the "other side" but chooses to use her powers to make her own position in the physical world and works to keep the remaining 1/3rd in the world they live in. A complete opposite to what the psychic proponents have been pushing for, so here's the big conflict that needs to be resolved before the series ends.

If the prophet and Yuya have both had their conclusions regarding the vision confirmed, it doesn't change the fact that it's physically impossible for the two brothers to have done the deed as they were not physically present during that time. We don't know how the vision came to pass, but there are other wild cards around which have yet to make their appearance.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:56 pm Reply with quote
9:

Okay, big revelations again.

To make things clearer than before, it's the psychics who wished for a world to call their own were transported to a parallel Earth. For some reason, convergence is happening, triggered by the appearance of the Kirihara brothers' appearance in a world when it shouldn't happen. Prophet―where did she come from?―warns Yuya that to save the world from self-destruction as a result of convergence, the anomalous Kirihara brothers must be removed/eliminated.

Still wondering the deal with the World War 3, though. Why did it even happen? Is it because of the disappearance of psychics, which somehow led to a global power struggle? That's the only conclusion I can come to right now.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote

Originally this work was supposed to run for two quarters, but for whatever reason it was condensed into one. This episode above anything else shows the effects of this compression, since the main plot has been catapulted to its end stage with little to no buildup.

Viewers were given brief glimpses of the "other prophet" Misaki, who inspired Mikuriya and everyone else supporting the Kirihara brothers. Turns out he's got his own connection with the prophet who stayed behind with 1/3rd of humanity. In addition, it appears he's been working this scheme for a long time apparently with Futami Shouko's assistance. At least his motives are now made clear: he'll do whatever it takes to have everyone in one world no matter what price or lives are to be paid in exchange. Okamura Akiko has one last card left to play, and whether or not her final hand is enough to stop the eventual fate of the world remains to be seen.

Another unintended consequence of this episode is it makes clear how the different factions play out in this series. The SWE has its prophet, the Russian faction has Misaki as its deceased prophet figurehead and finally the titular pairing of brothers are the pawns used by both sides to achieve their aims. It's only in this episode that there's a remote possibility that the brothers can work together to achieve a different outcome to what they have been shown; to do this however the Kirihara brothers will have to be stopped from the attempted assassination of the Kuroki parents which they have no idea they are going to perform.

Finally the issue of age has been put to the viewers. I said it previously, but anyone talking about character ages with 100% confidence should have had it in spoiler tags and this episode proves why. Yuuya has seen enough to conclude the Kiriharas were involved in their parents' disappearance, but he cannot understand why they look exactly the same as 15 years before the events of this episode. Viewers won't know the full picture either, at least until the series finishes airing.

The Kuroki teammates weren't killed, but it looks like they're human vegetables which isn't much of an improvement. I feel a little sorry for Reika since she's more relatable, so hopefully they'll make some kind of recovery before the series concludes.

I'm wondering about that last comment Akiyama Yui made before she was evacuated. It was directed at the brainwashed director, but not enough context was given to reveal what she really meant. Perhaps it might be relevant further down the line.

Not much left to air, and it's been a decent watch so far. The action scenes are still a big part of the entertainment component, so I'm staying to see this to the end to see if the story component didn't get completely butchered from the compression.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4