• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do color manga look inferior to comics,but often looks so bad even by itself without comparing?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samuknight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I mean manga looks so damn gorgeous in black and white and I am flabbergasted with how authors like Kurumada could create elements to literally make objects like sparkle as though they were real gold and diamond or how the fight choreography of Dragon Ball feels like watching an action movie rather than reading a comic book. Simply put mangakas do clever things to make their art unbelievably breathtaking.

So I have to ask why when colorizations look so damn bad? I have yet to see a series match the quality you typically see in Marvel and DC outside of graphnic novel covers, posters, and promotional art.

Even if we don't compare it to French comics and other Western comics (which typically have far superior colored illustration), just seeing colored manga chapters by themselves often feels so off. Like the painting was just tacked in like a gimmick at the last minute and when I compared their original black and white scans, there is just so much missing from the details of a bruised face in Gantz to the stunning landscapes of Samurai Deeper Kyo.

Why is this? In addition why do manga covers, promotional art, and posters by the same mangakas often have very impressive if not outright gorgeous illustrations including colorizations that not only compete with Marvel but quite commonly is far superior to many colored pages within a comicbook issue?

With how good manga art cover and promotional art often is, I'm surprised mangakas have a hard time making coloriation within the comic panel story that at the bare minimal can match Marvel and DC. Instead what we got is so bad even cartoony comedies such as Asterix the Gaul and Garfield is far superior to typical colored anime chapters!

Can anyone explain why this is?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Marvel, DC, and most other professional comic book publishers have one person doing the pencil version, someone else doing inking, a third person doing text and a fourth person doing color. if you read manga creator's comments, they really sweat blood over covers and color pages.

Also manga uses hatches, speed lines, tones and other techniques to add depth to the black and white copy. These tend to muddy things up if you color over them. If you have ever seen the pencil or inked version of a US comic book before the color is added it tends to look unfinished because it lacks the shading of the manga and the color it was intended to have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1