• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Has there ever been manga released without going through a magazine publication first?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samuknight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:33 am Reply with quote
Quite curious since one of my favorite stories ever (not just in comic style format but in any medium period including movies and theater) is Scot Pilgrim which was released straight in graphic novel volumes rather than serialized in your typical 20 page comic issue format. So this makes me ask has there been any manga thats been released directly in book volumes as a series instead of serialization in a magazine or newspaper first?

In addition if you're into indie comics or other niches outside of the mainsteam super hero DC and Marvel format, you'd know that in Western comics standalone one volume strories that never were published prior as 20 page issue serialization or part of a magazine anthology are a thriving market with plenty of titles such as Ghostopolis, Anya's Ghost, and Laika where the whole story is wrapped up in the single 100 page something book they're published in. So I'm wondering if these have been published in manga too within Japan?

Also I'm wondering, has any manga series ever been published as individual 20 page comic issues in a long-running serialization as is so common in America?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1