• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Made Lucky Star's Anime So Iconic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:02 am Reply with quote
Another anime I like when I was younger. Still find the jokes hilarious even if you don't get the reference.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:04 am Reply with quote
Lucky Star is a blast, particularly if you're an old enough otaku to appreciate the humor. But if I'm recommending a 2007 CGDCT show to an anime fan below the age of 30, I'm not mentioning Lucky Star to them; I'm pointing them in the direction of Hidamari Sketch. In that sense, I think it's fair to say Lucky Star won the battle but lost the war.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:30 pm Reply with quote
First I ever saw of Lucky Star was an animated forum avatar of Konata poking the screen in the OP, slowed down. Funny that I still remember that, 16 years later.

kiddtic wrote:
great article, I do wonder what the modern equivalent of Lucky Star is or is it a bygone era from the monoculture days of anime?

I dunno that I'd call 2007 an age of "monoculture". Lucky Star aired alongside Darker than Black, Lovely Complex, Moribito, Bokurano, and Dennou Coil; the second half aired alongside Baccano!, School Days, The Familiar of Zero season 2, and Zetsubou-Sensei. That seems like a good amount of variety.

(The AJA's reports list 2007 as the #3 year for total minutes of TV anime produced, after 2006 and 2018. The late-night proportion has increased, and there's more movies, but I find it hard to believe there's that much more variety.)
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:37 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
kiddtic wrote:
great article, I do wonder what the modern equivalent of Lucky Star is or is it a bygone era from the monoculture days of anime?

I dunno that I'd call 2007 an age of "monoculture".

I started watching anime around 2006. 2007 remains the best single year of anime in my experience. The whole period from 2006-2008 incorporated a wide variety of series about a wide variety of topics. The industry was booming, and production committees were willing to experiment with material that wouldn't have seen the light of day a few years earlier.

That all came to an end with the 2008 recession. Production committees pulled back from anything "experimental" and reduced even further their willingness to produce anime-original series. Things are a bit better nowadays, but the desire to produce only sure-things persist. It's one reason why we see so many isekai stories.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:18 am Reply with quote
Count me among the number that never really cared for Lucky Star. I was already a well-established anime fan and was in college when it debuted. I didn't hate it, but it just never clicked with me and I just didn't much care for any of the girls. It was kind of obnoxiously everywhere online though, you're absolutely right about that.

But! I will forgive the show because Lucky Channel is a delight. I ended up keeping up with the show purely for this segment.

I also likely would have never found Anime Tenchou without it.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:45 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I started watching anime around 2006. 2007 remains the best single year of anime in my experience. The whole period from 2006-2008 incorporated a wide variety of series about a wide variety of topics. The industry was booming, and production committees were willing to experiment with material that wouldn't have seen the light of day a few years earlier.

That all came to an end with the 2008 recession. Production committees pulled back from anything "experimental" and reduced even further their willingness to produce anime-original series. Things are a bit better nowadays, but the desire to produce only sure-things persist. It's one reason why we see so many isekai stories.

I got into anime around the same time, and even though we had to rely on fansubs… yeah, it was a hell of a time. And looking back through MAL's charts for TV anime that started in 2007, something like half of them were two consecutive cours or more. That's unheard of nowadays.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
And looking back through MAL's charts for TV anime that started in 2007, something like half of them were two consecutive cours or more. That's unheard of nowadays.

Another casualty of the 2008 recession. Production committees now take a wait-and-see attitude with anything not a major release. So we get an initial cour, and if it's a hit, it's carried forward.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2