• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
About the Anituber/VTuber Survey

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:45 pm Reply with quote
No option for "other" on VTubers? Because the only one I've ever followed is Aimu Sora by Cybird, and he isn't listed anywhere nor can I check "other" and enter his name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna piggyback off your post with a similar-ish question.

I'm seeing a lot of Hololive, Japanese Holostars, and Nijisanji names on the survey, but the list is far from exhaustive. Was it supposed to be? If not, I'm curious to hear how you narrowed it down (assuming that's something you can share).

I can understand not wanting to list out 300+ agency vtubers, but I was expecting to at least see all the English speaking members. I'm a big fan of HoloTempus (English Holostars), so I'm sad to see they didn't make the cut.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to just post in this as if it's the official thread for the survey.

To the person who posted:
Quote:
I don't. Stop watching fast-food content immediately. Read some actual books and you'll be less radicalized and activist-y. ANN needs help getting based writers who aren't psychologically malnourished and emotionally obese. You guys desperately need the ratings and clicks you used to get. Just looking out for you guys here.

Buddy, I'm like this because I read books. I've been a leftie since Youtube was barely even a thing.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
No option for "other" on VTubers? Because the only one I've ever followed is Aimu Sora by Cybird, and he isn't listed anywhere nor can I check "other" and enter his name.

The "other option" is available for logged in users. You probably weren't logged in when you answered the survey.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:42 pm Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of Hololive, Japanese Holostars, and Nijisanji names on the survey, but the list is far from exhaustive. Was it supposed to be?

Nope. Not sure how it was narrowed down though. Diane would have to answer that.

But as a rule for surveys, people need to understand that they will (almost) never be complete.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:43 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
To the person who posted:

Lol. That "other" was accidentally left open to non-registered users. Fixed and hid that answer.

-t
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

The "other option" is available for logged in users. You probably weren't logged in when you answered the survey.

I just re-checked while logged in, and it is available for Anitubers but not VTubers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I can confirm that there's currently no "other" option for non-Anituber Vtubers.

I started off with Hololive but I now mainly either watch indie ASMR Vtubers or Vtubers from smaller studios like Kawaii considering the comments on the major VTubers from Hololive scroll by at a hundred miles per second.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:25 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of Hololive, Japanese Holostars, and Nijisanji names on the survey, but the list is far from exhaustive. Was it supposed to be?

Nope. Not sure how it was narrowed down though. Diane would have to answer that.

But as a rule for surveys, people need to understand that they will (almost) never be complete.

While accepting obviously that such survey options will never be a comprehensive list, if the seeming intent was to just (somewhat justifiably) stick to the talents from the two biggest agencies then it makes the fact that some talents from those agencies were left out (*cough* Holostars EN *cough*) a strange choice or a bizarre oversight.

Also, the misspelling of several of the talents' names certainly doesn't do anyone any favors.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:04 am Reply with quote
This is our first survey about VTubers and AniTubers, so when it comes to narrowing it down, we went for the big ones (Hololive, Japanese Holostars, and NIJISANJI) first. When we have a follow-up survey on VTubers and AniTubers, it will be more varied or comprehensive.

@Sakura Shinguji, apologies for the misspelled names! We checked it on their official pages, but you can reply to this thread or PM me for it so we can make the necessary adjustments. I will recheck the names right away as well.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:12 pm Reply with quote
As far as misspelled names are concerned, it should be Usada Pekora, Shiranui Flare, and Tsunomaki Watame.

Another observation is that it's strange the decision was made to go with the granularity of dividing talents into their respective debut generation groupings... except for HoloEN for some reason.

As a general comment, there's clearly some logic that went into gatekeeping the "other" option, but I can't think of what that might be. I would think it would only be of benefit to ANN to learn from *everyone* rather than some lesser percentage of people wanting to fill out the survey, if they're watching/following talents besides those from the two big agencies.

Somewhat in the same vein, I questioned the exclusion of Holostars EN, and for that matter the exclusion of Hololive ID as well, because it seems to me it would only be of benefit to ANN to have some data about people who might be watching/following talents whose content is English-focused, considering the fact that ANN is an English-language site. (To be clear, despite the seemingly obvious implication of the name, the bulk of the content produced by HoloID's talents is in English.) To me, it seems at least as useful, if not significantly moreso, for ANN to understand that people might be watching, say, Regis Altare or Kaela Kovalskia, versus JP-only talents.

With that being said, while again acknowledging that the goal with this wasn't to be comprehensive, the cutoff for the inclusion of Nijisanji's non-EN talents seems pretty arbitrary. It's as if someone had started making a list, got partway down a wiki page and had a "wait, lemme scroll for a second... there are *how many more*?... maybe I just call it good here" moment. So from the point of view of wanting to hit the two big agencies and the big talents therein, it seems unfortunate to be further asterisk-ing the survey results by preventing people from adding vote data for talents like Ars Almal and Hoshikawa Sara who are better known and do better numbers than many of the talents who did make it onto the survey list.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I still don't quite get why there's no "other" field for VTubers where you can type in any name you want.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:59 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I still don't quite get why there's no "other" field for VTubers where you can type in any name you want.

It should be good now. The Other option is available. Smile

Sakura Shinguji wrote:
As far as misspelled names are concerned, it should be Usada Pekora, Shiranui Flare, and Tsunomaki Watame.

Made the necessary changes for this as well.

Sakura Shinguji wrote:
Somewhat in the same vein, I questioned the exclusion of Holostars EN, and for that matter the exclusion of Hololive ID as well, because it seems to me it would only be of benefit to ANN to have some data about people who might be watching/following talents whose content is English-focused, considering the fact that ANN is an English-language site. (To be clear, despite the seemingly obvious implication of the name, the bulk of the content produced by HoloID's talents is in English.) To me, it seems at least as useful, if not significantly moreso, for ANN to understand that people might be watching, say, Regis Altare or Kaela Kovalskia, versus JP-only talents.

The list was mainly based on the official Holo and NIJI pages. We are also aware that there are other EN VTubers (even EN AniTubers) out there who are famous (who have a high number of followers/subscribers and have consistent streaming content) and independent (not working under an agency) and, as said before, this is an opportunity for a follow-up survey.

Also, thank you for the feedback! This is our first survey when it comes to VTubers/AniTubers. Is it time for us to watch more AniTubers and VTubers?
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:37 pm Reply with quote
SenpaiDuckie wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

It should be good now. The Other option is available. Smile

Thank you so much!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1