• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Final Christmas in prison.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy26

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:19 am Reply with quote
It has been a long and trying journey but my time here is almost over. If you have read any of my previous posts then you will be familiar with my situation I'm a felon in a maximum security prison.

I came into this prison system just before my 30th birthday and will leave next May, after my 47th. I know that I am a reformed man and look forward to having the opportunity to prove that to society. I have a unique situation regarding my sentence that I really want to share somewhere, while this may not be the most correct of forums for this I hope it will be allowed to exist here. If for no other reason than to inform people of the shortcomings of mandatory sentences.

I held up a gas station, which is a dangerous felony. I blame no one but my self. It was not the environment or my upbringing that would cause me to turn to a life of crime, I was a drunk and did stupid things. I was punished for my crimes with a twenty year prison sentence. Since this is a dangerous felony by designation in this state, I am required to serve a minimum of 85% of the sentence behind bars. There is no wiggle room on that number, no time off for good behavior, you must serve 85% of this sentence before you can be paroled.

When I came to prison I had several paths I could choose to follow. I could have just gotten into the dope game, stayed high the entire time. Fighting, stabbing and cheating my time away in between trips to the hole. Or I could stay out of trouble, do my best to improve my self and change my destructive thinking patterns.

The kicker is, it wouldn't have mattered which path I took. I would have gotten the exact same outdate regardless, due to the nature of the mandatory sentence.

I chose the path of betterment. I got a job as a computer programmer which I have been doing for 15 years now. I have become a senior Java Developer with enough experience writing software that I would confidently put my skills up against any one Google has on their payroll. I taught myself how to play bass and with hundreds of hours of practicing, several performances, and endless study I have learned to express my emotions through music. I have completed a year long intensive therapy program where only 15% of enrollees actually last to graduation and finally found the positive self esteem I had been missing.

I have never had a conduct violation, not one in 17 years. I know of no one else personally who can say the same. An achievement I am most proud of.

The whole time I knew though, that none of it would help me get out a day sooner. The 85% requirement is legislated, I would under no circumstances be able to go home an hour earlier. Everything I have done in here I have done in hopes of having a few positive years when I get back in society.

Now, with 159 days to go I can start dreaming of the streets again. Of Anime T-shirts and Crunchyroll on my phone. On my phone can you imagine such a thing?!? You can watch Anime ON YOUR PHONE. Think about that for a second, that's how long I've been away. I really didn't even know what Anime was when I was last out there, now it has become the constant heartbeat of my dreams of the future. I'm going to buy some Sailor Moon figures on eBay, I want that classic stuff though, vintage. I want to build a lifesize Canti sculpture and put him under a tree in my yard, share my morning coffee with him. There will be conventions and cos-play in my future. I'm gonna listen to every song ever recorded by "The Pillows" as loud as I can, strap on a Gibson EB-0, and play along to "Spiky Seeds".

This is my last Christmas in here and the only Anime I'll be able to watch is a marathon of the previously shown season of Dr. Stone on Toonami. I'll still watch it though, it's Anime, I wouldn't miss it for anything. When you have so little, you appreciate what is available so much more.

I ask of you now, if you have read this far, to consider my case if you ever find the opportunity to discuss mandatory minimum sentencing laws. If there is no incentive for a person to accept rehabilitation then the likelihood of them doing so is greatly diminished. There are plenty though, like myself, who have made the decision to do so regardless.

Thank you all for the engagement this year. I promise next year my content will be so much more informed and look forward to being able to discuss and review all the new Anime as they are released.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Everyone!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Merry Christmas, Andy26! I've been fascinated by your story and I doubt I'm the only one. You certainly come at anime from a... unique... angle and it is beyond interesting experiencing that through your words. I'm glad you found these forums and I sincerely hope you stay here through the rest of your fandom.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I love a good redemption story and am glad to hear you've reformed. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Good going. Don't raise any flags just before you get out. Very Happy

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Virginia is one of those states. No 85%, it is 100%. There is simply no parole. Get a ten year sentence and you do ten years. Unfortunately this change was and is highly popular. I can see where it is a disincentive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1