• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Political / consipracy dramas on Crunchyroll?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belkov

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:12 am Reply with quote
I've just joined Chrunchyroll and I have quite a few series on my watchlist to keep me occupied for the time being, mostly slice of life stuff.

As much as I like that stuff, I'm looking for something meatier like serious political/conspiracy dramas like Ghost in the Shell: SAC. I believe Attack on Titan has many political themes running through it as well and I've got that also on my watchlist.

I'm not sure if there are many anime series that fits that genre but thought I'd post here just in case anybody has any recommendations..
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:41 am Reply with quote
I hate myself for first thinking of How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom after reading this post, but that show does have political intrigue and conspiracies. Its writing is not even close to the level of Ghost in the shell or Attack on Titan and I definitely wouldn't call it "meaty" in how its writing approaches anything at all. It's an isekai and like almost every isekai based on a light novel, its biggest priority is to be a power fantasy. Re:zero and Ascendance of a Bookworm dabble a lot in politics (Bookworm more and more as it goes along) though don't have the kind of laser focus on it like Realist Hero does. But those two have far better writing than Realist Hero.

Psycho-Pass seems to be on Crunchyroll though weirdly with some seasons only available dubbed while others only with subs. Psycho-pass is kind of scifi dystopia stuff so if you liked Ghost in the shell, Psycho-Pass should be right up your alley. Depending on where you live, Psycho-Pass might not be available to you at all. Not sure.
Belkov

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Cam0 for replying.

I had been looking at the rest of this forum after replying and did an internet search on this and it seems that most of the shows I'm after are isekai. It's just the state of the medium that this genre dominates it at the moment.

Saying that though the show's you mentioned sounds interesting. While they aren't on the level on GitS or Attack on Titan, I'm a bit of a political nerd where I am as interested in the mechanisations of politics as much at the content of it so these shows hopefully should be involving in a different way from the usual political/conspiracy thrillers that I enjoy.

As to Psycho-Pass, it is available in my region and I love the Cyberpunk genre. I've added that to my watch-list which I will be viewing in time.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:30 pm Reply with quote
There's also Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These. Set several hundred years in the future, the story centers on a centuries long war between two space faring nations, The Alliance of Free Planets and the Galactic Empire. The series deals with both the politics of war between the two nations as well as the inner politics of each nation and their own internal struggles. One of the high points of the series is that it doesn't portray either side as the villains and shows the points of view of both sides of the conflict.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much any military-themed anime will usually have some kind of political or conspiracy elements. With that being said, if the prospect of Mobile Suit Gundam doesn't scare you away with it's many, many iterations and timelines, then that's definitely a recommendation. UC (Universal Century) is the main timeline, and there are various (smaller) separate independent timelines for other shows. Here's the Wikipedia chronology (by order of release date).

Another popular military and semi-fantastical favorite is Code Geass. I say it's "semi-fantastical" only in the respect of some superpowers that are used, but it's mostly mechs, politics, and conspiracy. The politics are much broader than those of GitS: SAC, but it's a pretty epic journey from beginning to end.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood has a ton of conspiracy. The alchemy aspect will make it feel a bit over-the-top, but once you get past the first season, each episode after that feels like a cliffhanger, which I found pretty enthralling.

I second Psycho-Pass, though. It's basically Minority Report the anime. S1 and the first movie have the same writer, with all iterations S2 and up having a different one. I was pretty disappointed with S2 and have, thus, not watched anything past it, yet. So if you notice the drop in quality for the writing, that's why. S1 is near-perfect, though, and I recommend it to any cyberpunk fan.
Belkov

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Beltane70 & Tony K fore replying

Hopefully these are available in my region Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Joker Game.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly, political conspiracies appear in GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018) as the Japanese government is forced to deal with attacks by yokai. This story arc takes most of the series to work out.

The historical drama Hyouge Mono is full of relevant material. It follows all the major players during the Sengoku Period when warlords tried to take control of all of Japan.

You might find some material to your liking in Golden Kamuy. There are a lot of plotters, sometimes working together, sometimes not.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:04 am Reply with quote
It has a lighter almost slice of life vibe to it than some other shows but I highly recommend ACCA:13. 86 is a more recent one in the sci-fi vein you might check out. Steins Gate is also always a good one for time travel. If you don't mind it's CGI animation, Knights of Sidonia is also one of my favorites. This is more action and not sci-fi but Black Lagoon might be something up your ally. I would also recommend 91 Days.
Belkov

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to all who have additionally posted and thanks for the recommendations.

I'm currently watching That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime and while it is doesn't have the juicy skullduggery that goes with political conspiracy type dramas, I do like how the main character weaves between the different races in order to get them to work together for their mutual benefit.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade comes to mind with political thrillers in the conspiracy involving government factions that main character, office Kazuki Fuse, becomes entangled in. Wouldn't need a Crunchyroll subscription to see it, as you can also see it for free on Tubi subbed or dubbed.

Vinland Saga dabbles into elements of this with its deconstruction of glorifying the warfare and conquests of Vikings and Danes, particularly with exploring the issues that the Danish royalty have with obtaining and using their power as rulers.

Alderamin on the Sky deserves some more love. While exploring the different motives of the several soldiers protecting a princess, the series also dabbles into the political issues and corruption within both kingdoms at war with one another that our group find themselves dragged into.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Belkov

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Ggultra2764.

I've already seen Jin-Roh. It is a great political thriller.

I'll have a look at the Anime you had mentioned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1