• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Winter 2024 Daily Streaming Reviews

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uchay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I see James dodged the Instant Death Bullet. A pity. Laughing

Some of my picks didn't make it in, but I didn't have big expectations for 'em. I'm really happy and surprised Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic made it in, though. Been having a blast with those weirdos. Actually so good it even beat some personality into the potato-kun as soon as the 2nd episode, which was my only worry in the premiere Laughing

Last edited by Uchay on Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:54 pm Reply with quote
T3rmidor wrote:
Meh, most of the ones I will be watching didn't make the cut. Is really surprising how packed this season is yet how many average shows there are. Maybe id time to expand the reviwer staff to keep up with the spam rate of new shows?

I want to agree with you, yet the speed at which the seasons are getting fuller and fuller seems to make it impossible to keep up. Anyway, I am glad with the list, most of the shows I would like to see reviewed have made it in.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Jing getting Healing Magic, a straightforwardly solid show that I've yet to see any glaring lack of animation from so far, in contrast to her previously handled Kingdoms of Ruin and Last Boss Queen, makes me chuckle. I hope we get some more in-depth commentary, especially since it's got much more to work with than either I'd say.

Saeryen wrote:
IMO Pretty Cure especially deserves more recognition than the trashy ones that were voted for just to see the reviewers suffer.

I forget how Soaring Sky handled the seasonal votes, but if it's any consolation, you can hope that Silverman picks it up for reviewing in quarters? That's what I'm doing. Although if I'm being frank, even as a newly-turned convert after years of dragging my feet and getting ready to dive in, I wouldn't call it a series too good for episodic reviews broadly speaking. The substantially episodic nature is what most comes to mind, as much as I've been enjoying it. (Not that I don't get it of course, would have liked to see Silverman talk on the cute BL office romcom.)

Also, I actually didn't vote for Gushing despite an honest interest in it, lol.

I'm sad but not surprised Cherry Magic didn't make the cut. Is there a way to go back and see what we voted for or should I curse my forgetfulness and write them down later?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
Some of my picks didn't make it in, but I didn't have big expectations for 'em. I'm really happy and surprised Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic made it in, though. Been having a blast with those weirdos.

That one was well-received practically across the board, so it making the cut shouldn't be surprising. (Honestly, I would have been shocked if it didn't.)

I am also disappointed that Weakest Tamer didn't make the cut, given its strong debut. The Undead Unwanted Adventurer not making it is also a disappointment, since I feel there's content worth week-to-week commentary there, but given the more tepid reaction to that one, it isn't a surprise. I was surprised that Doctor Elise didn't make it, though, since debuts with a Community Score as high as it had usually do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:30 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Legitimately truly surprised Bravern made it when there wasn't even any official subs on release day but I'm absolutely not complaining

The first episode was so fun that it was enough to get notoriety despite the lack of official subs and got fansubs kind of quickly. While I doubt it'll be an overly intellectual show when all is said is done, it's been a while since I've had fun theorizing about possible twists a show will have. Theories from episode 1 I've seen about the show range from spoiler[Bravern is secretly evil to Bravern is Lewis's half alien robot kid from an alternate future]. Nothing serious yet, but all in good fun.
InfiniteNothingness wrote:
Also, I actually didn't vote for Gushing despite an honest interest in it, lol.

As someone who does like the source material and how the anime has been handling it so far (well, more budget would be nice, but ah well), I'll admit I voted it in mostly just to see suffering.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Shaman King Flowers rejected even in day 1?! Shocked

Well, I don't really remember much from the manga.
Kalhiki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the only things that didn't make it from my (admittedly small) list was Time for Torture, which is understandable, as it's a pretty lax, low-stakes show and Fire Hunter Season 2. Which is also understandable, since I'm pretty sure everyone forgot about it lol.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I voted on The Fire Hunter S2, partly because I do view it as an ambitious, if ridiculously messy & occasionally incomprehensible production trainwreck, but to the shock of no-one it didn't get voted in. Shame that. While I doubt many viewers or reviewers are going to be walking away from that show with a net positive, I still do feel it was given a short shrift, both by its own staff & with a writers unable & unwilling to even remotely attempt to tackle the show on its own terms.

Well, come what may, I'll be clapping like a cymbal-monkey for whatever nonsense, good or bad, it decides to throw at us this season.

As for Beast Tamer, I feel like I must have fallen into a parallel universe while watching the first episode. We're all talking about the fantasy show with the miniature slime, right? The one where lead has an ghost isekai'd/past life inside her, that she communicates with like an invisible Punch & Judy sock puppet?

Honestly, once I stopped giggling at its hilariously contrived device to clumsily dole out exposition, I spent the rest of the episode imagining a version of Remedy's Control where Jessie was constantly putting her hand to ear & going "What's that, extra-dimensional ghost friend?" Hmmm. "Yes, I also think the Bureau are real stinkers for kidnapping my brother". Hmmm? "Yes, we absolutely can't let anyone know we suspect the Board as having sinister intent" "Say that again?" "Yeah, it does seem like everyone is staring at me?".

I wonder if Sam Lake would make that?

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:23 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteNothingness wrote:
Is there a way to go back and see what we voted for or should I curse my forgetfulness and write them down later?

Yeah, I too wish we could still access the list after the poll closes (could it be made to just not allow further editing with a note that it's closed, and remove the submit button, or is that too complicated?). I would even be happy to just have the list because it would be easier to pull up than going through all the steps in the Encyclopedia to get a list of what shows were legally streaming during a particular season. The work's already done, seems a shame to waste it by dumpstering it when the poll closes.

I picked more than I knew we had reviewers for, so of course they didn't all make it. Almost all the ones I really wanted did, so it's all good. Were it my call alone, I'd replace Chained Soldier, Gushing Magical Girls and Urusei Yatsura with Dr. Elise, Meiji Gekken, and either Cherry Magic or Sasaki & Peeps (if only to see where it goes should I drop it). But since there're only 3 series in the lineup that I'm not at all interested in watching or reading about, I can't complain.

I knew neither Kingdom 5 nor Fire Hunter 2 would get in, or get reviewed even if voted for since neither got a mention in the Preview Guide, which I guess means no one on staff is current on either. Well, Lynzee is on FH, but she hated the first cour so much it'd be cruel to ask her to slog through this season. Smile

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
cfalcon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed we won't have Weakest Tamer, It's Time for Torture, Princess, Doctor Elise, Tsukimichi or Undead Unwanted Adventurer.
Zomb1e13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, gushing shouldn't have even been an option. The staff have already been pretty clear on how they feel about the show and the reviewers time would have been better spent on something else.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Zomb1e13 wrote:
Honestly, gushing shouldn't have even been an option. The staff have already been pretty clear on how they feel about the show and the reviewers time would have been better spent on something else.

As someone who likes Gushing Over based on its first two episodes... you're absolutely right. I'm gonna treat it like I did W'z: my opinion is all that matters to me, so who cares what the reviewer saddled with the show thinks? (Even though Chris's thoughts will be completely valid.)
Otcho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Most of my shows got in. Ragna Crimson not making is a little sad, since you had the reviewer of the manga doing reviews and you don't get that perspective all that often.

The one new show, where I really liked a first episode and that didn't make it, is Meiji Gekkan:1874 and that was set up to fail from the start, sadly. It only aired yesterday, is not a high profile smash hit, that waves of people watch and vote for immediately and to top it of, it's an original without a pre-existing fanbase. It never stood a chance.....
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:19 pm Reply with quote
T3rmidor wrote:
Meh, most of the ones I will be watching didn't make the cut. Is really surprising how packed this season is yet how many average shows there are. Maybe id time to expand the reviwer staff to keep up with the spam rate of new shows?

The limit on how many shows are covered for weekly reviews isn't set by the amount of writers available, but by how much interest is shown by readers in the poll. If a show doesn't make the cut, it's because it didn't get enough votes for it to be worth the editorial resources to cover it weekly. It's why the number of shows covered varies slightly season-to-season. More reviewers wouldn't mean more shows getting cover, it just means each writer would cover fewer shows individually.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:25 pm Reply with quote
So the full list of Preview Guide entries that didn't make the cut is:

1. 'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess
  2. Banished From The Heroes' Party Season 2
  3. Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki 2: Second Stage
  4. Cherry Magic! Thirty Years of Virginity Can Make You a Wizard?!
  5. Classroom of the Elite Season 3
  6. Delusional Monthly Magazine
  7. Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp
  8. Fluffy Paradise
  9. High Card Season 2
  10. Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable!
  11. Ishura
  12. Meiji Gekken: 1874
  13. Mr. Villain's Day Off
  14. My Instant Death Ability Is So Overpowered
  15. Sasaki and Peeps
  16. Snack Basue
  17. Synduality: Noir Season 2
  18. Tales of Wedding Rings
  19. The Demon Prince of Momochi House
  20. The Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil
  21. The Strongest Tank's Labyrinth Raids
  22. The Unwanted Undead Adventurer
  23. The Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash
  24. Tsukimichi -Moonlit Fantasy Season 2

Of these, the ones with the most members currently listed on MAL are:

1. 237K -- Classroom of the Elite Season 3
  2. 141K -- Tsukimichi -Moonlit Fantasy Season 2
  3. 78K -- Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki 2: Second Stage
  4. 75K -- Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable!
  5. 66K -- Banished From The Heroes' Party Season 2

Some pretty remarkable numbers, there -- Classroom of the Elite S3 is the season's second most popular show on MAL, and Tsukimichi S2 is #4.

Of the series that did make the cut here, the least popular ones on MAL are:

1. 4.0K -- Bang Brave Bang Bravern
  2. 26K -- Sengoku Youko
  3. 29K -- Bucchigiri?!
  4. 30K -- Urusei Yatsura
  5. 48K -- Villainess Level 99

So that gives a sense of how tastes here and there differ.

Once the Your Anime Rankings charts start in a week or two, we should see what the "second tier" around these parts is -- the shows not popular enough to get streaming reviews, but with enough votes to make the viewer rankings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5