• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girl and Her Guard Dog comments.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPuzzles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Are we deleting posts for no rhyme or reason now, ANN?

All I did was state that it's always wrong to hound and harass anyone for any reason, but a series should 100% be judged on its quality. What in the hell could that possibly offend anyone for?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:52 pm Reply with quote
MrPuzzles wrote:
Are we deleting posts for no rhyme or reason now, ANN?

The report for your post by a user:
User Report wrote:
Minimization of an author literally being told to kill herself for writing a bad series as "hurt feelings"
MrPuzzles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:53 am Reply with quote
Did you actually read my post? The full post? The actual full thing? Or did you just read the report and nothing but the report? Because, let's be frank. You didn't.

There's taking things out of context, and then there's excelling at it. Because I can sure as hell make a compelling argument that this review did hell of a lot more "minimization" than my pointing out that fact. I mean, I'd be more than happy to post a few social media examples of that in action, but...uh, ah. You guys delete those posts too, huh?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I read the full post, and I'm certain that Tony K. (who's been doing this for a long time) did, too. The post you're talking about was reasonable until you threw that last line in, which is what the complaint was about. You might have intended it a different way, but it easily comes across as "she can't handle the criticism because she made something bad" when this situation, from what I understand, has gone beyond that.

And I'm curious by what "minimization" you're referring to in the review, because I also read that and felt Caitlin was being as diplomatic as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Original post:

MrPuzzles wrote:
No one should be abused or harassed over creative choices, but the fact remains that she wrote a crap, and creepy, series, and it should be judged accordingly.

If standards evaporate because of hurt feelings, then there's just no point in having standards to begin with.

First part: good.

Second part: not good.

I thought about deleting the second part. But this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't kinda' job. So I think I'd have been screwed either way.
MrPuzzles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
You might have intended it a different way, but it easily comes across as "she can't handle the criticism because she made something bad" when this situation, from what I understand, has gone beyond that.

I didn't even remotely suggest that. All I did was state that criticisms shouldn't be avoided just because there are people who can't handle it, or handle it poorly. I never pointed anyone out or even implied it, including the author of that series. Someone brought up the author's weirdness, I stated a general opinion. It literally applies to everyone and everything.

How in the world is that a controversial take? You guys do criticisms for a living. You literally practice what I just preached!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Locking this temporarily while the admins prepare a private response.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1