• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why is Kevin Cormack still writing for ANN?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoneyMustard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:34 am Reply with quote
Earlier this year, ANN staff member (and doctor) Kevin Cormack posted a review of My Pancreas Broke, But My Life Got Better that was full of blatant ableism, belittled neurodivergent struggles, and had an inappropriate comparison to No Longer Human.

https://web.archive.org/web/20240102080936/https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/my-pancreas-broke-but-my-life-got-better-manga/.205942

After being heavily criticized, the review was edited to remove the No Longer Human comparison, and then was completely removed. ANN's publisher said about the review in its forum thread, "I do feel the wording of the review was not appropriately presented for such a sensitive topic, and some of the comments came across as unnecessarily hurtful. Additionally, the review should have focused on what it is like to read the manga, and while it is fair for the reviewer to express how reading the manga may be frustrating, it is not appropriate for them to criticize the author of an autobiographical work of this nature."

The lack of editorial oversight in this review is shameful. However, I do not want that to distract from the fact that while someone should have edited this review, Kevin Cormack should not have written this review like this in the first place, especially as a doctor. I would think that at minimum, the posting of such a review would warrant a suspension from writing for ANN of at least a few months. Yet in the time since the Pancreas review, Kevin Cormack has still been allowed to write a number of reviews for ANN, and contribute to pieces by ANN's editorial team.

animenewsnetwork.com/review/im-in-love-with-the-villainess-audiobooks-1-2/.205347
animenewsnetwork.com/review/gachiakuta/manga-volume-1/.206740
animenewsnetwork.com/review/smoking-behind-the-supermarket-with-you/volume-1/.207277
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2024-03-04/anime-to-watch-on-funimation-before-they-disappear-from-streaming/.207702

I would like to know why Kevin Cormack doesn't seem to have faced any meaningful repercussions for writing what is easily the worst and most harmful review I've ever read on ANN.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:44 am Reply with quote
This was also sent to my by e-mail and I replied to HoneyMustard there. But the gist of the reply is that ANN is as responsible as Kevin for that review and we share the blame.

Neither ANN nor Kevin acted out of malice towards anyone. Mistakes were made, and I am not going to punish anyone the first time they make a mistake. It was an unfortunate learning situation and ANN has instituted some changes to our review process that should hopefully avoid a repeat.

-t
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:56 am Reply with quote
Good lord, what a ghastly review. I have to admit that when I read the OP I assumed they were probably being overly sensitive. Then I read Kevin's review. Wow. Just... wow. I should mention that I am not familiar with Nagata Kabi's work (other than recognizing titles since they are pretty memorable) so it's not like I have a vested personal interest, but the utter lack of empathy is pretty stunning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1