• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
System of feedback FROM the moderation team.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViviP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:23 pm Reply with quote
As it stands now, when the moderation team deletes a forum post it simply vanishes from existence leaving behind an often bewildered user. Most users don't set out to break any rules and do their best to stay within the guidelines, but mistakes happen, debates go askew, yada yada. So when anybody's post is deleted they're left with the burning question: Why? This is of course never answered and you often see users trying to find clarification with further forum posts. (off topic posts)

Which is why I think that a system where moderators could (must) provide feedback to the user whenever moderating actions are taken would be a massive improvement. It doesn't even need to be elaborate, simply knowing what rule was broken is extremely helpful. It's a humanising element that would reduce resentment towards moderators and since moderator's reasoning would be far more transparent, a check against moderator corruption is created.

Moderators are representatives of the website and when they act like faceless monsters that ruin your day for unknowable reasons, the negativity caused reflects on the brand.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:22 am Reply with quote
Hello ViviP!

On of your posts tripped our spam filter and you were labelled a suspected "spambot."

Users are not notified when they are flagged as a potential spambot. This is by design; we don't inform spambots that they are suspected of being spambots as that would help them evade our spambot detection.

The automatic moderation was removed from your account once a human was able to verify that you weren't a spambot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I dunno, SenpaiDuckie... I'm not convinced that ViviP isn't a spambot. After all, check out the expletive-filled rant filled with dire threats, the completely unreasonable tone that was taken. But as far as I'm concerned, the real spambot tell was that bit about how you make $5,000 a week easy through passive revenue streams. Come on.

Note: this post is 100% satirical and in no way should be interpreted as being serious or having any basis in reality. Wink
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:13 pm Reply with quote
The mods simply don't have the time to send a response to every user who's post is removed. The mods are volunteers who do this after working normal jobs and having lives outside of this forum. Most have to make time to moderate this forum. I was a mod and I stopped primarily due to not having that time anymore after having to make the time for several years. Many of the other former mods fall into that category (some just left the hobby).

The primary duty is dealing with all the reports that get sent in on a daily basis. Which ones are spam? Which are legit? If this user is being problematic then we gotta check their recent history for other such posts as often many of them don't get reported. Then keep tabs on hot button discussion that blow up overnight or during the day. There simply is not enough time in the day as volunteers (mods are not paid and never have been) for mods to check every thread or send a response to every user for every action the mod takes. Especially when many are repeat offenders as is, are spambots, or are using an alt/burner account to make rude posts.

I can also tell you the percentage of users who actually reach out to a mod directly in PM's (civilly without expletive laden messages) to inquire about why a post got removed is miniscule. Instead users often like to make assumptions, jump to conclusions without asking, and go on about "moderator corruption" and "evil mods silencing people!" without sending them a message to ask what's up. Which given a mods normally limited time on here daily a direct message is definitely one of the best ways to get a quicker response. Especially if your post(s) trigger the auto spambot functions as posts seen as spam or awaiting approval go to separate section only mods/admins can use. So those posts are much less likely to be seen more quickly by a moderator.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- You may be onto something. ViviP's response above is both polite and reasonable. When was the last time you saw a forum member respond in a polite and reasonable manner to being moderated?? While possibly not a spambot, they don't seem fully human either. Maybe we have one of those A.I.s everyone is so upset about among us. A spambot with A.I. capability, now there is a frightful glimpse into the future.

@ViviP welcome to the forums. I hope you will pardon a bit of fun at your expense.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:07 am Reply with quote
Thank you Redbeard 101 for pointing it out! We do check their recent history, and it just so happens in this case, there were duplicate posts, meaning a post that was duplicated more than four times, in his/her/their history. That's basically it. Smile

Other than that, I definitely share Alan45's sentiment! Welcome to the ANN Forums! Very Happy
<('_')^

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:31 am Reply with quote
I completely agree. I have been on "moderated" status for over a month or two now. I have an idea of what post it was for, but do not know why or how it broke the rules. Not to be melodramatic, but opinions are litterally getting censored. One of my first posts on this site to get deleted was one where I dared to question the argument of one of the staff members. I forget which topic it was, but remember the discussion mostly being over whether or not works should be judged/canceled because of the authors actions/crimes.

Edit: I remember, it was in that worst anime of 2023 topic. Where one of the reviewers tried arguing that Rurouni Kenshin should be declared the worst soley cause the author of the manga committed crimes.

I understand that mods are not paid and have their own lives, but I must ask, why sign up to mod in the first place then? It doesn't benefit you or anybody when someone volunteers half heartedly. Especially when it's a position of power over other users. To me that argument never made sense and just seems like an excuse to dismiss the idea of holding mods accountable for potential mistakes or misconduct.

If a mod has the time to read through all these comments and threads, then they should at the very least be obligated to leave one little comment telling us why the posts we take time to make got deleted. If someone says something dumb or rude, then just leave a comment saying "trolling or quality control". But if the post you are removing is an argument with clear effort put into it, then at least give us a full sentence. It would go a long way in making moderators feel trustworthy.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:48 am Reply with quote
Me, personally, when I edited a post, I used to leave a note at the bottom in italics. If I deleted a post, I'd leave a reply in the thread. But I'm a lot more desensitized these days. You be a Moderator long enough, you start to get tired of everything and gradually care less and less about cordiality and decorum because it's 99% thankless volunteer work.

I don't really go out of my way to place users on Moderation, anymore, unless I think they're spambots, alt accounts, or obvious trolls/jerks. When I did Moderate users, I used to send them a warning via PM, first, to try and be more diplomatic. I'd say it worked a little less than half the time. But when I took a long hiatus and came back, I started to believe it was more of a wasted effort to try and be formal all the time.

If it means anything, though, I don't agree with Moderating someone over franchise preferences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1