• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Train to the End of the World

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamW
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:35 pm Reply with quote
"However, what if it's not a mushroom cap? What if it's a tail, heralding Akira's inevitable loss of humanity, accelerated by the weird time shenanigans in the railcar?"

Oh, it's *definitely* a tail. I thought this was pretty obvious? It doesn't look anything like a mushroom, nobody else in the episode had a mushroom growing out of their butt, and the first episode leaned pretty hard into the "hey these girls are all gonna turn into animals!" thing if you were paying attention. It's 100% a tail.
thecritter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:28 pm Reply with quote
This is a real gem in all of its nutcase glory. It's right up there with Duke of Death and Spice and Wolf for this season's best.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode Four

Made in Abyss, horizontal version?

Actually, that map is pretty accurate, once you know how to map the glyphs to reality.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm waiting for a stop where Shizuru gets to finally fight an ant eater.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the combination of the crazy, the horror, the wild, the funny, and the solid character moments especially from Akira and Reimi really solidified for me to keep watching this to see where it all ends up. Laughing

I do wonder how Shizuru and Reimi will get of that bind. Also, I am very curious on what Nadeshiko is planning to do with that bow she made. I will say some of the surreal backdrops the girls pass through looks stunning!
rfletcher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:57 pm Reply with quote
[quote="<('_')^"]
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Quote:
I bet the main girl is in love with the missing girl, and this is some yuri allegory story..

Based on what? I'm noticing a trend where people project "romantic" narratives soley by the composition of the main party in a story and for no other reason. "Oh there's one guy in the group? must be a harem." "Oh there is a male lead and a female lead, they must hook up with one another eventually." "Oh its a guy only group? They are probably gay."

Where does it end? Sad

The fight they parted on sounded like it could possibly have been caused by one of them coming out to (or confessing to) the other, and the OP has the two of them slowly reaching out to one another in what is, quite frankly, a pretty common "yuri pose" as they lie facing one another.

I personally don't think it's going to be that, but I saw the possibility, I think it's a valid reading, and I'd actually be glad to see it.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Slight correction
All the desires that are coming true were Shizuru's, not Yoka's
Finding little people a la Gulliver's travels, eating lots of mushrooms, etc. (I bet the ant eater one already came true and there's a human turned ant eater back in Agano)

Which I find even more interesting considering Yoka was the one who pressed the button
It either speaks to the depths of bond that Yoka and Shizuru had that those things stuck with Yoka even after their fight, or some sort of other subconscious influence of the world is going on a la From the New World style
mad_yeti
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:26 pm Reply with quote
The individual quirks of each stop seem at least somewhat inspired by the real locations! The stop with the fantasy towers seems to be an extension of the Moomin Valley theme park on that area, and there's a JSDF base near the stop with the tiny military.
Fun puzzle.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:19 am Reply with quote
Another and Blood-C? Everything is clocking together Laughing
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:14 pm Reply with quote
While I'm a big fan of Yokote's writing, especially when she collaborates with Mizushima, I must point out that the credited scriptwriter on episodes 4-5 was Shigeru Murakoshi (Zombie Land Saga, The Gymnastics Samurai), who did an excellent job. His ear for funny, yet believable dialogue is up there with Jukki Hanada's.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Last episode was pretty shocked to see our fluffy haired "gentle and reliable one" crafting a bow. It seems out of line with her established niche in the cast. Nothing prepared me for how she uses that bow though!

Reimi and Akira's relationship is a lot of fun. They've fairly clearly had something going on behind the incessant bickering, but Akira's unwavering faith even in her delirium that Reimi would turn up to save her was adorable. Less adorable, but entirely hilarious, was Reimi 's response to the bully foolishly causing the destruction of a gift from Akira. Based on Shizuru's reaction, beast-mode is something that's been triggered before in similar circumstances.

So far one of my favourite shows of the season on the "how much fun am I having while watching this" scale. This sort of wacky comedy sometimes runs out of good jokes half way through a run, but it's holding up well so far so I'm optimistic for maintain its energy until the end.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:44 pm Reply with quote
That archery duel was a strong reminder that this setting was already pretty whacky BEFORE 7G. What with the giant flying kidnapping Ikebukuro own drone.

Thesarum wrote:
Less adorable, but entirely hilarious, was Reimi 's response to the bully foolishly causing the destruction of a gift from Akira. Based on Shizuru's reaction, beast-mode is something that's been triggered before in similar circumstances.

All I'm saying is, have you seen those three boys in any other school flashback after that event?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
That archery duel was a strong reminder that this setting was already pretty whacky BEFORE 7G.

I've never seen an archery competition where the participants shoot at each other rather than a target. Even if safety tipped, it makes no sense to stand that close to use an inherently ranged weapon on your opponent. Using the bow as a club is the only logical thing to do in that setup.

I posted this in the discussion thread for easy reference, so I might as well do so here too.

(click for larger image)
Thesarum

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 4:03 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
All I'm saying is, have you seen those three boys in any other school flashback after that event?

I have not. Perhaps we have solved the mystery of why their school has so few students. It's not rural depopulation. They've all just accidentally or otherwise upset Akira at some point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2