• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega's Golden Axe Game Gets 10-Episode Animated Series on Comedy Central

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

If you had to turn a random Sega game into a Comedy Central lowbrow comedy, well, better this than Persona.

Personally, I think the late 1980s arcade beat 'em up from Sega that would translate much better into a late night animated comedy series would be Dynamite Dux since that game was a comedy to begin with.

It's a shame that Dynamite Dux only ever got a console port on the Sega Master System and not the Mega Drive/Genesis and its only real claim to fame these days is the infamous Easter Egg version of the game's intro on the Commodore Amiga port which is a mainstay of "NSFW Easter Eggs in Games" videos on Youtube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I understand that it's a comedy, it's on Comedy Central, but as someone who played the original Golden Axe game going on three and a half decades ago, I could see there only being enough comedy potential for roughly a five minute Robot Chicken sketch (yeah, I know Robot Chicken is Adult Swim and not Comedy Central) and even then they'd probably have to pad it out with a couple of marijuana jokes.

To be fair that has never stopped these kinds of shows before. I'm expecting this to be very lowbrow and cheap. I just hope the new game that was announced isn't a tie-in with this and looks like that one Battletoads reboot a few years back.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Either way, I'm glad he found a new series. Lower Decks is the best American animated show in years.
It is the best American animated show in years, if you consider a complete and utter assassination of Gene Roddenberry's lore surrounding Star Trek and its message towards the evolution of humanity in favor of Gen Z dysfunction for the sake of uncharacteristic comedy to be your definition of "best". If that's your perogative, then congratulations on believing that Star Trek has no business showcasing the evolution of humanity because you think Roddenberry has made humanity boring when there is NO evidence that humanity had completely shed its candid skin.

Seriously. Lower Decks is an insult to Star Trek and everything it stands for and I'm shudder to think what will happen to Golden Axe.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:17 pm Reply with quote
This headline was a journey.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2