• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Adds 9.3 Million Subscribers in 1st Quarter 2024, Co-CEO States Password-Sharing Polic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Ask yourself this.

If the company is so confidant that the password sharing did not harm subscrier count than why will they still stop reporting the number after 2025?

answer: cause they know it will probably reach its peak around that time and will either remain stagnant or dwindle over time, even if u stop password sharing there is still a finite market.

Pretty much. The streaming gold rush is over (mostly because of inept management) so it's all gonna be about just keeping people from leaving now.
Essedess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Soul_Punisher wrote:
I stopped my subscription as soon as they announce one piece. I'm very happy I made that decision as soon as they tried their hands at live anime adaptations that's when netflix died.

Bye netflix for giving me generic live action viewings of cowboy bebop, Yasuke (it's an anime do not watch btw), one piece, fma and death note

Joke's on you, OP live action was good.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
A lot of people are saying that Netflix no longer sharing subscriber numbers is a sign of their demise; I think the likelier and less boring option is that Netflix realized they've hit their ceiling.
Could they not just expand to more countries, or have they run out of feasible countries?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:04 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
A lot of people are saying that Netflix no longer sharing subscriber numbers is a sign of their demise; I think the likelier and less boring option is that Netflix realized they've hit their ceiling.
Could they not just expand to more countries, or have they run out of feasible countries?

China was one but you know their policies...
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I've never even heard of "The Three-Body Problem" and putting it into google doesn't show me any results leading to netflix.

Excluding the video results (which were almost entirely related to the Netflix series in the early results), the Netflix-related results started at #4 & #5 for me (with #4 being a link to the Netflix series itself, and #5 the Wikipedia article on same).

Quote:
Just some book from China.

It seems safe to assume you aren't a science fiction fan then. Smile
casenumber00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:38 am Reply with quote
Gen Z just never learned how to pirate. I just grew up, and still am, poor so it was a necessity to learn how.
THE DOG CATCHER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:47 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
Gen Z just never learned how to pirate. I just grew up, and still am, poor so it was a necessity to learn how.

I think even if people wanted to pirate they would still be discouraged because it is not as convenient as just launching an app. Which is the same thing that killed off almost all fansub groups. Between needing a computer for the client, setting up RSS feeds so you can auto download shows, finding a trustworthy site, and probably setting up plex or some other media server if you want to watch on a TV or away from the house. Most will drop out. My boss has me give him a refresher every time a show drops on netflix and he always end up saying that he will just pay for the month.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:52 am Reply with quote
I think that those predicting a mass exodus from Netflix missed a salient point. For those actually paying for a membership, the change in policy had no effect except to make their service more reliable. The only change they experienced was that they no longer found all slots taken when they attempted to watch something. Among those using a shared password, many, if not most, could probably afford a subscription but didn't because why do that when you can get it for free? Those people became new subscribers if they actually used and wanted the service. The people who couldn't afford or didn't care enough to pay simply put less load on the Netflix servers.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:25 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Officially, all three earmarked big shows to take over for Stranger Things, One Piece, The Three-Body Problem, and Avatar the Last Airbender, are all considered big hits by Netflix. So it's not too big a surprise that with shows like that and The Gentlemen, that the subscribers have been rising lately.

I've never even heard of "The Three-Body Problem" and putting it into google doesn't show me any results leading to netflix.

Wink
"Neil deGrasse Tyson Explains The Three-Body Problem"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GfIDwwxfsM

And

Quote:
What is the three body problem? Neil deGrasse Tyson and comedian Chuck Nice break down why the three body problem is unsolvable and what makes it mathematically chaotic.

Is the solar system unstable? Find out about Isaac Newton’s worries about the solar system, Pierre-Simon Laplace’s calculus, and perturbation theory. Would a binary star system be chaotic? What about a star system with three suns? Four suns? Five? Learn about the restricted three body problem and how the Jupiter-Earth-Sun system could be chaotic down the line.

"Most Popular U.S. Anime Streaming Services Surprises in Massive New Poll"

Quote:
The data shows that for Gen Z and Millennials, who both by far made up the majority of anime viewers, Crunchyroll came in fourth behind Amazon Prime Video and Hulu. As Crunchyroll is one of the few dedicated anime streaming services on the list, it suggests that the influence of other forms of media, such as live-action, plays a huge factor in where people watch their anime. As Polygon also reveals, when limited to specifically Gen Z viewing habits, Crunchyroll rose to second (58%) behind Netflix (76%).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2