• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

How many final seasons did Shingeki no Kyojin have in the end?

You are assuming it is actually finished. Rolling Eyes
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:34 pm Reply with quote
After just watching Date A Live V's second episode (accompanied by its opening theme that episode 1 didn't have (full official upload here)), I'm now even more frustrated and saddened nobody is caught up on the series, thus it has no coverage in the preview guide. The wait for episode 3 is going to be painful. The lack of respect these kinds of series can get, despite this one pulling some stuff a certain anime from 13 years ago did that got critical acclaim.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:50 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

As I recall, there was a significant down turn in the anime industry in the mid to late 2000's. This made the people behind the production committees rather risk adverse. In addition to the flood of cookie cutter shows, it likely had an effect on the length of the shows that were green lit.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
In any case, this is a fascinating retelling and is faithful enough to the actual Grimm version of the tale to make me happy. It adheres to the truth that the sanitized Disney versions of folklore are rarely the most interesting stories.

I notice The Grimm Variations is being written by Michiko Yokote, who among many other things was the head writer for Princess Tutu, so she's no stranger to putting new twists on folklore.

(I didn't have much to say in the discussion thread back when you did the episode reviews for Tutu in 2020, but I think that might've been the single best thing to come out of this site's Classic Streaming experiment.)

Yuvelir wrote:
I don't know how old this specific trend is, but I know for a fact that SHAFT did this with Natsu no Arashi in 2009 and Arakawa Under the Bridge in 2010. In both cases they named the second cour like a sequel, but for all intents and purposes they were split cours with both shows getting a cour in spring, skipping summer (ironically) and then having another one in autumn.
There are probably older and contemporary shows that did so too, but I haven't bothered looking.

Fair enough; I had a suspicion there was something I was forgetting. I think I might've been in another discussion about it at some point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed the Grimm Variation version of Cinderella. Not the kind of show I would binge but look forward to savouring the episodes in leisurely fashion.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:50 am Reply with quote
Oops, guess I'm not done after all.

This iteration of Sword Boys On Time seems like a mix of the Hanamaru sol series and the more action-oriented Katsugeki version. I'm okay with that! I don't follow the game at all, but I'm impressed by the fandom's support for the restoration of the rl swords, and I kinda have a soft spot for it for getting me to buy my first (and only, actually) figures because of the exquisite costuming (still pining for Thunderbolt figures Crying or Very sad), so I'm definitely on board, even if I can't remember anyone's name except Mikazuki Munechika's.

Nick wrote:
...when every character has a unique design, they start to blend together.

Nani? If they're all different how do they blend together? I've always admired the fact that with such an ungodly number of characters to design, they managed to avoid same-face/different hair syndrome like so many massively-multi-bishonen-franchises suffer from.

I liked Grimm's Fragmments of Horror well enough, and I'll watch the rest, though I'd rather the episodes were shorter. What I really didn't like was the jazzy soundtrack. I guess it was supposed to evoke the Taishou era of the Japanese Cinderella setting, but it just didn't work for me at all. Also, I wasn't sure who to sympathize with in this, except maybe the stepmother, who already had her hands full with her awful children without having to deal with a murderous psychopath to boot.

Now I think I'm done. Very Happy
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the guide's pretty close to a close, so thought I'd post some summary graphs again, as in my previous, Fall 2023 post:

Median Scores bar plots:

Original size: https://imgur.com/gPQVDVa.png

All Scores by Show, Points Only (strip plots):

Original size: https://imgur.com/HzjE61U.png

All Scores by Show, Boxes (strip+box plots):

Original size: https://imgur.com/AEgdKh1.png

Reviewer Scores (swarm plots):

Original size: https://imgur.com/74cxGPD.png

Also, initial attempt at a Which Company Is Streaming Which Shows table:

Original size: https://i.imgur.com/ahuGIxj.png

(side note: missed Winter 2024, but will edit this post with an imgur album with images for it later)

Last edited by NeverConvex on Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Dkrattrap

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
After just watching Date A Live V's second episode (accompanied by its opening theme that episode 1 didn't have (full official upload here)), I'm now even more frustrated and saddened nobody is caught up on the series, thus it has no coverage in the preview guide. The wait for episode 3 is going to be painful. The lack of respect these kinds of series can get, despite this one pulling some stuff a certain anime from 13 years ago did that got critical acclaim.
. I agree especially when Date A Live V was one of the few I was actively waiting for
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:47 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:

What do you mean by this exactly? Not fussy about spoilers, and have actually been progressively more interested in this since some months back.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:23 am Reply with quote
InfiniteNothingness wrote:
BigOnAnime wrote:
What do you mean by this exactly? Not fussy about spoilers, and have actually been progressively more interested in this since some months back.
Major spoilers here for Date A Live and another very popular anime (mentioning the name itself would result in spoilers because of the comparison).

At the end of DAL season 4spoiler[you learn more about Kurumi Tokisaki, and basically she's a lot like Homura Akemi from Madoka Magica, who tried to save her best friend Madoka Kaname from dying by going through so many timeloops to prevent Madoka from becoming a magical girl. Kurumi's goal is to go back decades in time to kill the First Spirit, the one that is responsible for creating Spirits. When Kurumi first became a Spirit to be "an ally of justice", it resulted in her unknowingly killing her best friend Sawa. What the First Spirit, Mio Takamiya (Phantom) did is she tricked Kurumi. What Kurumi thought were monsters she was killing were actually innocent people. To go back into time, she needs Shido Itsuka's powers from when he sealed Spirits, which would require consuming him. He later ends up being killed by DEM, and she goes through 204 timeloops in order to save him as she ended up falling in love with him.]

When I first began watching this series as it first aired 11 years ago, I never thought it would go in this direction and I'd be able to compare it to spoiler[Puella Magi Madoka Magica] in a few ways, but there you go. I felt S1 was good at the time, S2 was a bit of a step down, but season 3 was a turning point, with like spoiler[Origami Tobiichi going back in time to prevent the death of her parents which she blamed on a Spirit, the reason she hates Spirits so much to begin with (which ended up being herself as she became one when going back in time)], and then once season 4 happened and it ended on a cliffhanger... Basically, as the series progressed, I got so much more invested in the plot (the actual plot) despite it resorting to spoiler[time travel tropes.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:13 am Reply with quote
Kaiju No 8 Ep 2...OP first airing...WTF?

How much money did they throw at that ? Eye candy times
Eilavel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I suppose part of my perception of shorter adaptations may be I had less awareness of original material, partly just youthful ignorance but also partly because it was much, much less likely than today that such material would ever appear in english; why pay close attention, then, to source material I'd never see?

Still, again, probably the anime industry may not be the main reason anyway. While there have always been very long running manga and the like, narou light novels that meet any commercial success all seem to run to incredible lengths. Once thats something thats getting adapted, more incomplete adaptations are probably inevitable. If they tried to adapt the full 20 volumes of every medieval JRPG themed anime, the whole industry would be occupied for quite some time.

I've not seem the source material but Kaiju No. 8 was a pleasant surprise. Just staring adults and some mild worldbuilding is enough to give a bit of interest to your standard well made Shounen adaptation.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:02 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Major spoilers here for Date A Live and another very popular anime (mentioning the name itself would result in spoilers because of the comparison).

At the end of DAL season 4spoiler[you learn more about Kurumi Tokisaki, and basically she's a lot like Homura Akemi from Madoka Magica, who tried to save her best friend Madoka Kaname from dying by going through so many timeloops to prevent Madoka from becoming a magical girl. Kurumi's goal is to go back decades in time to kill the First Spirit, the one that is responsible for creating Spirits. When Kurumi first became a Spirit to be "an ally of justice", it resulted in her unknowingly killing her best friend Sawa. What the First Spirit, Mio Takamiya (Phantom) did is she tricked Kurumi. What Kurumi thought were monsters she was killing were actually innocent people. To go back into time, she needs Shido Itsuka's powers from when he sealed Spirits, which would require consuming him. He later ends up being killed by DEM, and she goes through 204 timeloops in order to save him as she ended up falling in love with him.]

When I first began watching this series as it first aired 11 years ago, I never thought it would go in this direction and I'd be able to compare it to spoiler[Puella Magi Madoka Magica] in a few ways, but there you go. I felt S1 was good at the time, S2 was a bit of a step down, but season 3 was a turning point, with like spoiler[Origami Tobiichi going back in time to prevent the death of her parents which she blamed on a Spirit, the reason she hates Spirits so much to begin with (which ended up being herself as she became one when going back in time)], and then once season 4 happened and it ended on a cliffhanger... Basically, as the series progressed, I got so much more invested in the plot (the actual plot) despite it resorting to spoiler[time travel tropes.]

Well huh, my guesses were spoiler[Steins;Gate and PMMM, so it's good to know I was sorta 50-50]. Honestly, that really does sound pretty interesting with the other... scattered details I've picked up on DAL's story from osmosis and some wiki perusing.
Thanks for the elaboration, I appreciate it! Even more certain in giving this a full shot when I get the chance, then.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:33 am Reply with quote
Having read the manga for so long, I'm having a really hard time getting used to the character designs in The New Gate. Even though it should be closer to the light novel illustrations, it still feels quite a dissonance...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Exact same question I had, Gina. Also, I've heard the broadcast fees and advertising rates for late night anime are very low given the small viewership, so I don't think it is broadcasters who are driving the multi-cours versus single cours issue. I suspect strongly it is the anime producers who are driving this, I just can't figure out why.
My take is that it is an outgrowth of the same strategy that has given us +60 shows per season lately. Namely that one can never tell apriori whether an IP will be "good enough" to make money or be popular or even a "hit" until it airs, making "betting" on a small number of expensive shows getting big returns risky. Thus, there is an incentive to produce as large a number and as wide a variety of different shows as practical to see which few make enough money to make the expense of continuation worthwhile. "Let the market decide"...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 31 of 31