• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Novium

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Name: Name's Novium, my real name is only known by me.

Sex: Male

Blood Type: not too sure. I hear that I'm a Type A or Type B, I'm gonna try to find out soon.

Location: San Francisco for schooling, I'm from the suburbs at the outskirts of LA

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: Korean

Religion: Protestant Presbyterian (typical)

Pets: Had some goldfish but we gave them away

Drink/Smoke: I drink on occasion.

Likes: Anime, movies, video games, deep narratives, stylistic artwork, religious allegories/motifs/symbolism, photography, nature

Dislikes: people who can't take a hint, illogical fanboys, pretentious people

Favorite anime: Lucky Star, Slayers, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Heatguy J

Favorite Manga: Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Love Hina

Favorite Books: A Clockwork Orange, the Judeo-Christian Bible (yes, I know...), The Alphabet of Manliness, Philosophy in the Bedroom, Souls of Black Folk

Favorite game: Fire Emblem 7, Tales of Symphonia, Castlevania Aria of Sorrow + Dawn of Sorrow, Metal Slug 3, Capcom VS SNK 2, Sin and Punishment 2, Devil May Cry, Fragile, Metroid Fusion, Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, Red Steel 2, Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Ikaruga, Viewtiful Joe

Favorite TV shows/Movies: (Movies): Blade Runner, Raging Bull, Breathless, Fallen Angels - a wong kar wai movie, Taxi Driver, A Ghost in the Shell, Paprika, Blue Velvet, Ran, Metropolis (by Fritz Lang, but the Rintaro version was good too), Fargo, Barton Fink, No Country for Old Men, Mean Streets, Tropic Thunder, Eraserhead
(TV shows): Futurama, South Park, Drawn Together, Married With Children, Sons of Anarchy, Sopranos, Mythbusters, Tosh Point O, Twin Peaks

Favorite Drink: Some Skye vodka and orange juice.

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Sprite, Lemonade, Water

Favorite Foods: Rice and grilled meat served with spinach, kimchi, fried seaweed, tofu, soybean sprouts, omelet eggs, and some piping hot tofu stew - very Korean meal y'know. Otherwise I'd go for some pizza, tempura, potato pancakes, blueberry pancakes, cherry pies, flame-broiled cheeseburgers, or the stuff you'd find at a breakfast diner.

Favorite Sites: N4G (to taste some fanboy tears), The Best Page in the Universe

Favorite Sport (to watch): Soccer

Favorite Sport (to play): Footbol

Favorite Music: I've become more accepting towards modern music but my heart remains to old school music (Rolling Stones, Muddy Waters, Ketty Lesinger, Eric Burdon and the Animals, The Kiss, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, 2 Live Crew). I've just recently fallen in love with Susumu Hirasawa's music after watching Paprika and Millennium Actress. And of course, I do like Aya Hirano's music... *Puts on fireproof flame shield

Job: Unemployed, but will look for one as soon as possible. Plus seeking out film production jobs.

Hobbies: Watching movies, making movies, watching anime, playing video games, analyzing art and details of animation, writing screenplays

Fun facts about Novium: Nothing too extraordinary... my family has ties to Korean revolutionaries, I have a relative who does special effects at a film industry, I like movies, anime, and video games... nothing special.

Favorite Quotes: "Heinekin? F--- that sh--! Pabst Blue Ribbon!" - Frank from Blue Velvet

"Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey" - Bud from Kill Bill Vol. 2

"There's two kinds of people in this world: the ones who use the door, and the ones who use the window" - Tuco from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

"Dude sick you like threw up on my printer!" "Did I break it?" "Hope not." - Saul and Dale from Pineapple Express
Elbereth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I think I really like this forum. Smile

Also, at risk of sounding completely pretentious, I must make an amendment to the buffalo wings statement. They must be good wings from New York. I did not have excellent wings until about a year ago, and they have completely ruined my enjoyment of wings in the Philly area. After all, when the place I went to had a whole chart of options for wings, it leaves plain old "hot" and "BBQ" a very sad list to choose from.

This is why Project A-ko is awesome. There is no need to explain further. (Although I am amused that someone has dedicated an entire channel to ridiculously buff persons).

[quote=Psycho 101]Here in the states the tea store I go to is called Teavana. It's a mid sized chain but they sell top quality loose tea. Best place I've found here to buy in terms of a store. There are 2-3 online stores I also shop from but the problem there is you can't smell them first so you gotta blind buy. I don't know about you but I definitely prefer to smell the teas first before I buy. [/quote]

Damn, that's the one store that can sucker me into spending a fortune when I didn't intend to.

Tea snob here; some sites will let you order a minimal amount of tea to try it. Not as ideal as actually getting it in person, but well...for when Teavanna discontinues your favourite tea. ;-;
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:
I dunno about that, all you'd really need is a baseball bat and walking shoes and I'm pretty sure you can out-walk the zombies. What? too many of them? Climb something and travel the higher ground. Get to your car and drive off. Most easily avoidable "apocalypse" ever.

I don't have a beef with zombies like you do, but this is so true. I don't know which is sillier: People that are afraid of slow moving things that can't even think, or people that are afraid of a bunch of bones. A zombie apocalypse is one those moments where I assess the situation and just go, "I'm really fast, really athletic, and have the brain capacity to at least out think something that's dead, why should I be afraid?"

You guys have never seen Dawn of the Dead I take it. That movie knew that slow zombies are a dumb idea, so it made the zombies such that they are unaffected by cardio stamina; ie they can run really, really fast without getting tired (because a real zombie wouldn't need to pump blood to its muscles). I'd like to see you two jokers get by in _that_ zombie apocalypse Wink

Seriously if you don't find the idea of an asian man that used to work at the grocers sprinting at you faster than you can imagine, with half his face hanging off, and a bloody stump with protruding bone matter where his right arm used to be, with nothing but a single-minded, base, aggressive instinct to pull your gleaming intestines out, you'd have different thoughts about the matter I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
You guys have never seen Dawn of the Dead I take it. That movie knew that slow zombies are a dumb idea, so it made the zombies such that they are unaffected by cardio stamina; ie they can run really, really fast without getting tired (because a real zombie wouldn't need to pump blood to its muscles). I'd like to see you two jokers get by in _that_ zombie apocalypse Wink

And by not pumping blood to their muscles I would just need to keep away from them long enough for cellular break down to happen (which, if they're moving as fast as they did in the DotD remake, would be quicker than you think). Or I could just hold up somewhere and wait for their bodies to decay enough to where they can barely hold together. The DotD remake was the most absurd zombie flick I ever saw, and because of my friends, I've seen quite a few of them. Plus, the number 1 thing I heard from my zombie fan friends concerning the DotD remake is that it "betrays zombie traditions." Now if it were a 28 Days scenario, then yeah, I'd be f'ed!

Anyways, I should stop here because I feel my anti-zombie rants welling up at the back of my throat. Must hold it in lest I be responsible for knocking this thread off topic...
Pantha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
I've never done an introduction, primarily because I’ve never been a consistent poster. It took me almost five years to reach my 100th post. In celebration of that dubious accomplishment, I’m finally doing one of these things.

Name: Pantha

Height: 5'8

Weight: 119

Marital Status: Unmarried

Religion: Atheist

Pets: Nah, no kids yet. No cats and dogs either. …I take that back. I don’t have any cats and dogs. But the family has a Chihuahua/Dachshund mix named Buster.

Drink/smoke: Neither.

Favorite music: I listen to everything except rap (with rare exceptions), gospel, and…I have no idea what it’s called. You know the stuff where the guy, usually with hair that defies gravity, is wanking away on a guitar and screaming unintelligible lyrics at the top of his lungs? Yeah, I don’t listen to that stuff. Amy Winehouse and The Strokes are current favorites.

Favorite Songs: “A Change Is Gonna Come” by Sam Cooke (all time favorite), “Hallelujah” Jeff Buckley’s version (a very close second), “Somebody’s Baby” by Pat Benatar, “Me and Bobby McGee” by Janis Joplin, “Barely Legal” by The Strokes

Favorite Sport (to watch): Track and Field

Favorite Sport (to play): Bowling. Anything else will be highly entertaining to onlookers at best or a safety hazard at worst. It’s a miracle I actually drive.

Favorite games: Scrabble

Favorite anime: Fantastic Children on certain days and Kodomo no Omocha on others.

Favorite Movies: Gone With the Wind (all time favorite), It Happened One Night, The Princess Bride.

Favorite Books: The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas (the Senior), Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, and The Fixer by Bernard Malamud.

Dislikes: Pork. Whiny fat people. Cats. Snow. Sanctimony. Colorblock dresses and Bermuda shorts. Math… or most anything dealing with numbers. Texting.

Likes: Calculators. Books. Words. Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Pop-Tarts. Smiling. Babydoll dresses and Capri Pants. Traveling. Exercise. Junk Food. Genealogy. Halle Berry. That is one fine specimen of a woman.

Favorite food: Macaroni and Cheese is excellent with fried chicken.

Favorite drink: Fruit Punch CapriSun.

Education/employment: Educated/Employed

Favorite websites: Anime-Planet

Favorite quotes: I know this by heart. Ahem...

“…then my darling would draw away with a nervous toss of her hair, and then again come darkly near and let me feed on her open mouth, while with a generosity that was ready to offer her everything, my heart, my throat, my entrails, I gave her to hold in her awkward fist the scepter of my passion.” - Humbert Humbert

Fun facts about Pantha:

Plays Scrabble competitively. Card-carrying NASPA member. Yeah, that’s right. I’m writing this in public.

Recited “The Raven” in its entirety by memory for my 5th grade English teacher. Ever since I was little, I had some sort of weird memory when it comes to words. It’s pretty out there.

Lived seven months without television, radio, and internet. Wonderful time, that was. I should do it again. I finally did get Internet in December and my TV in March of this year.

Never takes medicine. I never in my life had an Aspirin or Tylenol. Never, never, never. I have a “no-pill” policy and I’m sticking to it.

Participates in NANOWRIMO every year, but never crosses the finish line. I’ll do it this year though. I WILL!!!

Has weird luck. I never broken a bone or been stung by a bee. Everything just seems to go my way. Yet…yesterday I got a flat tire....after Jiffy Lube put air in one of them. Hardy har har…
Skylark

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
Pantha wrote:
Plays Scrabble competitively. Card-carrying NASPA member. Yeah, that’s right. I’m writing this in public.

I know how you feel.. I find the only kind of people I can tell about playing competitive chess are the invisible ones that speak to me from the glowing silver and black box of magic on my desk.

Quote:
Participates in NANOWRIMO every year, but never crosses the finish line. I’ll do it this year though. I WILL!!!

Wow, every year? I've attempted it twice in my life and didn't reach the target either time. I got way closer on my first go; with a 32,000 worder that honestly was not put together well at all. I started out with a grandiose idea and it just started to fall apart as I wrote it; in the end it was a mess of loose ends and inexplicable, shallow attempts at plot twists. Pretty depressing. The second time I only got to 10,000 before tearing my hair out in frustration. I'd be interested to know how you go with these.. Never met anyone else who did nanowrimo. Do you have some kind of system?

Damnit now I feel like entering again. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Pantha wrote:
Dislikes: Math… or most anything dealing with numbers.

Am I right to presume that the former claim explains the latter?
Nevertheless, I'm quite puzzled by your proclaimed aversion to matters mathematical: does Scrabble — a game in which tiles are assigned numerical quantities — not call upon a person's faculties of numeracy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pantha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:

Wow, every year? I've attempted it twice in my life and didn't reach the target either time. Never met anyone else who did nanowrimo. Do you have some kind of system?

Damnit now I feel like entering again. Sad

Actually, no not every year. Every year since 2006. The upcoming contest will be my fifth time entering. And like you, I've never actually finished. It's hard. I thought it would be easy. "1700 words a day? Bah! That's just an essay!" ...yeah, an essay everyday for 30 days. I have a demanding career, but I take advantage of the fact that I go to bed late and wake up early. Weekends are my time to play catch-up. That's pretty much it. No system.

Zin5ki wrote:

I'm quite puzzled by your proclaimed aversion to matters mathematical: does Scrabble — a game in which tiles are assigned numerical quantities — not call upon a person's faculties of numeracy?

Nothing puzzling about it really. I'm a player, not a mathematician that tries to use probability to determine the most common words (or letters) used. You need only basic addition for scoring. For tracking tiles, you can do it in your head; it's second nature if you've been playing long enough. Or you can merely use the tile distribution sheets given to you at tourneys. See? Simple!
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Name: Joshua

Sex: male

Blood Type: I have noooo idea. Sad

Ethnicity: Mutt. Spanish, native American Italian. My last name is French...go figure.

Pets: My cat died a year ago. Have not gotten any new pets.

Drink/Smoke:No smoke. i don't want wrinkles. LOL I am a occasional social drinker.

Dislikes: Spiders, egos and down right mean people.

Favorite anime: Sailor Moon, Tenchi, Claymore, Berserk, Project A-ko and many many more!

Favorite: I don't get to read a lot but I am enjoying Pluto.

Favorite Books: Harry Potter series, Eragon, Wheel if Time, City of Bones.

Favorite game: Resident evil series, Final Fantasy Series and Street fighter. more as well.

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Lost, Trueblood, Ugly Betty, Will & Grace

Favorite Drink: Long island Ice teas

Non-Alcoholic Drink: diet..I fear drinking so much sugar. I do like an occasional Boba Tea.

Favorite Foods: Anything thats not meat. oh and I am a new addict to Pinkberry.

Favorite Sites: deviantart, Y!Gallery, perezhilton, peopleofwalmart, ANN, facebook.

Favorite Music: Madonna, Lady Gaga, Hikaru Utada, Boa, michal Jackson, Janet Jackson and many more!

Job: animator, illustrator and designer for disney.com and Kerpoof.com

Hobbies: drawing, movies, video games, books, tv and being a social butterfly. Yes I do have social skills....for the most part.

Fun facts about me:
-Hmmm I am never sure how to answer this question. I am a nerd but from looking at me you would not think I was as big of a nerd as I actually am.
- I can make my voice sound like a female opera singer....a bad one but still. LOL
I cosplayed for three years now and i am addicted.

Favorite Quotes:

"How empty of me to be so full of you".

Pictures:
http://fallenmessiahx.deviantart.com/#/d2pvu9h
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Plus, the number 1 thing I heard from my zombie fan friends concerning the DotD remake is that it "betrays zombie traditions." Now if it were a 28 Days scenario, then yeah, I'd be f'ed!

Anyways, I should stop here because I feel my anti-zombie rants welling up at the back of my throat. Must hold it in lest I be responsible for knocking this thread off topic...

Well, honestly, until a zombie breakout happens we'll never know who is right about what. We can't use science or common sense to guess what will happen since a zombie is a walking dead person and that goes against science and common sense right there. So basically anything is possible with zombies. Move really slow or run really fast. Eat humans or maybe they'll chase stray animals around for food. Though Rancorous, if you're right and I'm wrong, you can say I told you so by killing my zombie butt Smile And I agree that we should stop here before we feel the wrath of the mods.

Quote:
This is why Project A-ko is awesome. There is no need to explain further. (Although I am amused that someone has dedicated an entire channel to ridiculously buff persons).

I enjoyed that clip a lot more than I thought I would, thanks for posting it. Is that super buff girl in the entire series? I can't think of the right word(disgusted? queasy?) so I'll just go with the opposite of aroused when it comes to really muscular girls. Just creeps me out. Not sure how I would handle a series if there were a lot of them.

I've decided to post a few more things that are interesting about me(I think so at least) but I'm going to post them here rather than in my introduction post a few pages ago where no one might see it.

Weird/Cool/Unimportant things about me:
-I won the local, city, and county free throw shooting contests when I was 11. I may not play great defense in basketball, but I'm deadly within 25 feet of the basket.
-I love to laugh at my own jokes. Even if no one else finds them funny. I pretty much live to entertain myself.
-The thought of meatloaf and mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner with cheesecake for dessert practically makes me have a fatgasm.
-I watch anime for the simple joy of being entertained.
-I try not to over think anime that I watch; however, I do enjoy a good intelligent conversation on anime(like everyone else here) and I like to read other people's viewpoints on shows or plots whether they agree with me or not.
-I'm a very shy person until I get to know people better then I'm ridiculous amounts of playful and/or flirty. If that makes you uncomfortable, then it immediately makes it more fun for me.

With this added I hope everyone kind of has a better sense of who I am and won't be afraid to chit some anime chat with me on the forums.
yuki_girl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
hi everyone Smile
thanks for welcoming me into your forum. I'm terrible that this stuff, but here's a short breakdown of me and my anime tastes:

Name: yuki_girl

Sex: cyborg

Blood Type: not sure

Ethnicity: Eastern European

Pets: a little black, very naughty siamese kitten

Drink/Smoke: hai.

Likes: smoking, discovering new anime and unique old ones, discussing anime, playing with my cat, making industrial music, video games, writing, researching various interests online.

Dislikes: moths, liver and sweet wine.

Favorite anime: Ghost in the Shell, Angel's Egg, Serial Experiments Lain, Mushishi, Jinroh, Voices of a Distant Star, FMA Brotherhood,Studio Ghibli, Koi Kaze, Paranoia Agent, Twelve Kingdoms, Vampire Hunter D, the Hellsing OVAs, Samurai X. Some shoujo:Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vampire Princess Miyu and my guilty pleasure, Fruits Basket >.<

Anime Tastes: learn towards the cyber punk and fantasy based anime but am really interested in experimental ones, and anime with unconventional narratives and animation style. Like taboo subjects too (Koi Kaze was my suprise hit of the year) Like a bit of yuri and hentai too, for weekends and when I can't sleep.

Dislike (anime): I don't strongly dislike much, but I do avoid certain types of shouju, anime that's needlessly violent or racist (I love good styalised violence though and animes that push boundaries). Anime relies too heavily on cliffhangers, anime with poor characterisations and ones that rely heavily on fan service (some is ok though). Am always happy to discuss my dislikes but don't like arguing (debating though...I enjoy Smile

Favorite Books: Ubik, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Harry Potter series, the Vampire Hunter D Novels, City in the Stars, Warren Ellis graphic novels.

Favorite game: Halo 2, Bioshock, DragonAge, old Mario games and Star Wars Racer.

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Being Human, Trueblood, Buffy, 6 Feet Under, Alias.

Favorite Drink: Asahi, red wine and German beer (sorry, couldn't pick one!)

Non-Alcoholic Drink: three colours from China Town with extra red bean, lychee bubble tea with triple pearls. o.o

Favorite Foods: addicted to Japanese Food and dumplings.

Favorite Sites: deviantart, imdB, ETS, the StarCrossed Anime blog, Anime News Network

Favorite Music: NIN, Skinny Puppy, Ulver, Coil, Download, Isis, Atrium Carceri, Katatonia, Ministry.

Job: writer

Interesting facts about me:

-I went to a Japanese School in Victoria when I was a kid and can still remember how to sing the alphabet song and the Cat and Police Dog One.

-I am nocturnal

Favorite Quotes:

Not Mummy's special anime collection, sweetheart. *plucks hissing kitten from top of bookshelf*

Just a whisper. I hear it in my Ghost.

* I'm looking forward to getting to know you all..don't be afraid to send me a PM if you want to discuss any of my posts or favourite animes more =)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
yuki_girl wrote:

Name: yuki_girl

Sex: cyborg

Ah. Clearly you have been sent from the future to terminate me because at some point I become the charismatic leader/military genius who leads an uprising against The Machines. I'm right, aren't I? Go ahead, you can admit it - I can take it.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Go ahead, you can admit it - I can take it.

Um... you're talking to a cyborg that thinks it has blood. I'd tread lightly with the advice it gives you.
yuki_girl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Go ahead, you can admit it - I can take it.

Um... you're talking to a cyborg that thinks it has blood. I'd tread lightly with the advice it gives you.

*robotic facepalm*

Damn, I've been discovered. Yes, I'm here to pull a certain John Connor from the ranks of Anime News Network. Ok guys..which one of you is it? Don't troll me please. It hurts my lack of feelings.
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
First timer here at ANN forums my friends introduced me awhile back but I avoided the forums and just read the news but decided to be part of it

Name: Michelle

Height: 5'6

Weight: On a need to know basis you dont need to know however

Marital Status: In a Relationship

Religion: 50/50

Pets: Kitty who I named Crunchy, want a dog to name snickers

Drink/smoke: None

Favorite music: Always been a fan of house, trance and Alternative, more recently my ipod is filled with Anime and J rock music

Favorite Songs: ooh so many to list might as well list singers, L'arc en Ciel, Asian Kung fu, Gorrillaz, the Strokes, Green day

Favorite Sport (to watch): I don't really watch sports

Favorite Sport (to play): Tennis

Favorite games: Console and handheld

Favorite anime: School Day's, Oh my Goddess...haven't watched too many

Favorite Movies: Advent Children, Hackers

Favorite Books: Whatever Manga's my library carries

Dislikes: hmm just mean and evil people, but I am one so its weird

Favorite food: Ramen

Favorite drink: Fruit Punch

Education/employment: I do stuff

Favorite websites: Crunchyroll atm ^^

Favorite quotes: Hmm can I make my own up?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 110 of 233